_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Resin casting-how to?
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 06:44 PM UTC
Hi
not sure if this is the right place for this topic but anyhoo. After seeing kiwiblegs campaign dio I was wondering how do you actually cast things in resin, what do you need and how do yo do it? Cheers, Nick
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 07:05 PM UTC
Good day Harrier. I have done a bit of resin casting. I use a RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) rubber for the master. Two part, just add part "a" to part "b", mix and pour. As to the master, I have only done stuff like packs & veh storage. I glue the master on a piece of plactic card and build a box around it. I have found a 1/4" clearance all around works well. I then pour the RTV into the mold. A bit at a time and I brush it onto the master. Fill the rest of the void. I move the mold around, tilting it it to allow any air bulbs to rise to the surface. Once cured "unmold" and allow to fully air cure. Mix your resin (part a & b) and gently pour into mold (reduces air bubbles). once hardened gently flex mold around sides to release the new part. Again allow too finish air curing. Remember the RTV usually has a long "work" time , while the resin can have a very short "work" time so you must be organized. As to brands, I have no idea what is available in your neck of the woods. The molds usually last for a couple of dozen castings. Find RTV rubber that is flexible and resists tearing. Long windened but hope it helps.

Doug
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 07:07 PM UTC
Search in the Features section..... There's sever in there.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 07:25 PM UTC
Micro-mark has everything you'll need. I think their website also has a short tutorial. (www.micromark.com)
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Here is the link to the feature on here about resin casting that Matt was talking about.................. https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/469&page=1

This pretty much sums it all up. Matt has way more experience then I do, as I am just recently playing with this. However, I found this truely helpful. When you need resin and RTV silicone, there is a guy on Ebay called "Aeromarine products" who sells some nice stuff to my experience. you can even call him if you have questions or need items. The Phone # is (877) 342-8860. Hope that helpos you out. If you have more questions, ask away!

Gary
 _GOTOTOP