_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Idea for a Campaign, "under new management"?
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC
OK guys and gals, having enrolled in a couple of campaigns for this year I had this idea for a new one, how about "Under New Management"? could be a captured vehicle put into service by its captors or even a lend lease arrangement one.
I think it would give plenty of scope for variety of time periods from WWI onwards.
I would be looking at a June/July start and to run til December.

Any opinions/interest people?
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 06:51 PM UTC
YES! Totally interested!
Good idea. I'm in!
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 07:26 PM UTC
Sounds promising. I'd be in...
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
Sounds interesting.........and I even like the title LOL Im in
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC
I'm definitely interested... Count me in!
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 03:23 AM UTC
Thanks guys for your support, hope we get some more interested parties so it can get put forward for consideration.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 05:30 AM UTC
sounds interesting.

The question i would have is how would one show that its under new management? Would it require figures of a different nationality to be driving it for example? Maybe giving some examples would help clear it up...at least for me.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hmmm, I guess we should set the rules so that the concept "new management" is really obvious to the observer. For example a US halftrack captured in Tunisia, with the stars painted over and Balkankreuz painted on should do the trick, rather than a standard US Haltftrack being driven by german infantry. Otherwise things can get rather complicated in my opinion.

I think our choices are endless... For example, when the African front was coming to an end, more than 85% of the vehicles that the Germans were using were captured from the Allies. Or the battles in the Middle East can be a huge source, to my knowledge Israelis captured tons of stuff and pressed them into service again (like the Ti-67 which is a modified T-55 for Israeli use). Or a Me 109 in British markings could be cool, too. Especially in WW2, loads of stuff changed hands.

I think what we shouldn't be doing is lend and lease or the stuff that was sold. It might broaden the subject too much. In that case, a BTR 70 which is originally Soviet but sold to an African country could be said to be "under new management" and when you think of it that way the campaign would go waaaay off. It might be better if we just stick to stuff that was captured and put to good use by its new owners...

My two cents
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

sounds interesting.

The question i would have is how would one show that its under new management? Would it require figures of a different nationality to be driving it for example? Maybe giving some examples would help clear it up...at least for me.

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your input, what I was thinking was something along the lines of markings/camouflage that sets it apart from its original owners, be it a WWI British Mk!V Male in the four tone German camo with crosses on the sides, a WWII Panther in British markings (i.e. Cuckoo), a T-34 in German 3 colour camo with full german vehicle equipment, a german vehicle captured and used by those that took part in the warsaw uprising, a Syrian T-62 rebuilt by the Israeli's to a Ti-67 or even an Iraqi T72 now in use with the new Iraqi army complete with ACAV style commanders cupola armour.

Hope those few ideas clarifies things and get the creative juices bubbling...
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm, I guess we should set the rules so that the concept "new management" is really obvious to the observer. For example a US halftrack captured in Tunisia, with the stars painted over and Balkankreuz painted on should do the trick, rather than a standard US Haltftrack being driven by german infantry. Otherwise things can get rather complicated in my opinion.

I think our choices are endless... For example, when the African front was coming to an end, more than 85% of the vehicles that the Germans were using were captured from the Allies. Or the battles in the Middle East can be a huge source, to my knowledge Israelis captured tons of stuff and pressed them into service again (like the Ti-67 which is a modified T-55 for Israeli use). Or a Me 109 in British markings could be cool, too. Especially in WW2, loads of stuff changed hands.

I think what we shouldn't be doing is lend and lease or the stuff that was sold. It might broaden the subject too much. In that case, a BTR 70 which is originally Soviet but sold to an African country could be said to be "under new management" and when you think of it that way the campaign would go waaaay off. It might be better if we just stick to stuff that was captured and put to good use by its new owners...

My two cents

Thanks for your ideas and comments Emre, l happen to agree with you about the lend lease stuff, so captured and put to use is much better and gives the campaign a bit more definition in my opinion.
Thanks again.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 09:48 PM UTC
You have hit on one of my favorite subjects...........captured equipment!! What a great idea for a campaign!

I would love to sign up for it. The one thing I am afraid of is that I don't know if I could commit the time to complete it. I hope that in the next few months there will be a major change in my career (for the better) and if that happens I will be spending a lot of time making the change.

But I would love to take part in it. What are the rules if you sign up for a campaign but have to back out? Is that frowned upon or is it that big of deal?

If it isn't that big of a deal I will definitely sign up. I already have an idea for my entry. If all goes right I want to build an American M-8 Armored Car being used by the Germans during WWII. I have a picture of this and I have always wanted to build a kit of it. So that will be my official entry.

Thanks for the idea.

HARV
EuanElliot
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:19 PM UTC
Excellent idea, i'd HAVE to join with a t34!
Euan
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for your ideas and comments Emre, l happen to agree with you about the lend lease stuff, so captured and put to use is much better and gives the campaign a bit more definition in my opinion.
Thanks again.

Glad if I can be of any help.

Last year I built a captured Panther A in Russian Markings and russian armor green.. I think I should return the favor and build some captured Russian equipment used by the Germans I think
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You have hit on one of my favorite subjects...........captured equipment!! What a great idea for a campaign!

I would love to sign up for it. The one thing I am afraid of is that I don't know if I could commit the time to complete it. I hope that in the next few months there will be a major change in my career (for the better) and if that happens I will be spending a lot of time making the change.

But I would love to take part in it. What are the rules if you sign up for a campaign but have to back out? Is that frowned upon or is it that big of deal?

If it isn't that big of a deal I will definitely sign up. I already have an idea for my entry. If all goes right I want to build an American M-8 Armored Car being used by the Germans during WWII. I have a picture of this and I have always wanted to build a kit of it. So that will be my official entry.

Thanks for the idea.

HARV

Hi Randy,
captured and out of the ordinary is one of my fave subjects too, as for enrolling and then having to drop out later I think is no big thing, we all have lives away from the modelling bench that have the habit of getting in the way, plus this wont start till June/July anyway so things may well have settled for you by then.
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent idea, i'd HAVE to join with a t34!
Euan

Cheers Euan
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks again.

Glad if I can be of any help.

Last year I built a captured Panther A in Russian Markings and russian armor green.. I think I should return the favor and build some captured Russian equipment used by the Germans I think

Sounds good, are there any pics of the Pantherski?
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 219 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC
I'd definitely be interested in this one!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 01:18 PM UTC
I am definently on! Sounds like a really cool idea with lots of possibilities, yet at the same time clearly defined.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 02:30 PM UTC
Excellent idea Mark,
Have had a couple of ideas down this line for a while now so id love to give it a go,

James
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:06 PM UTC
I proposed such campaing about a year ago but it was rejected. I still think that it would be interesting so count me in.
As for the rules I think that all captured vehicle with visible markings of new "owner" should be allowed. I'm not sure about lend lease vehicle because it may cause some problems.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds good, are there any pics of the Pantherski?

Sure, here is the picture of the Panterov Panterski I found while surfing through the net :

Through research, I found out that Panthers were given as gifts to successful veteran tank crews and were in high regard in the Soviets. They had even small combat groups entirely composed of Panthers, especially later in the war, when captured equipment and supplies allowed them to keep these running. Mixed reports on the feelings of Russian crews though... Although they liked the visibility and the fighting characteristics, some crews complained that it was not as sturdy as the T-34 and required maintenance too often. Might be useful information to those who might convert a Panther to the Russian side.

Though some Panthers were used directly in their own camo by the Russians, others were given a quick job of Russian Green on the field, repaired and sent to war "under new management". By the way, surprisingly information I found suggests that the stars on these repainted vehicles were actually white, not red. I think the picture above might be further proof, although I must say I'm not an expert on these subjects...

Here's my little dio built about two years ago, named " Friendly chitchat won't hurt the war", with its converted Panther:

For other Panther options, one can try the French... There are pictures of French panthers on the net as well.

What I will build as a converted Russian I am undecided... I might go for a KV-2 (Trumpeter) or T-34(Dragon) complete with decals for the captured vehicle. KV-2 seems the better option, but suggestions are welcome (and it might be interesting to convert the T-34, thinking that the Panther was a response to that).
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd definitely be interested in this one!

Thanks for your support Dan
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am definently on! Sounds like a really cool idea with lots of possibilities, yet at the same time clearly defined.

Thanks Jesper.
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent idea Mark,
Have had a couple of ideas down this line for a while now so id love to give it a go,

James

Cheers James.
mark197205
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I proposed such campaing about a year ago but it was rejected. I still think that it would be interesting so count me in.
As for the rules I think that all captured vehicle with visible markings of new "owner" should be allowed. I'm not sure about lend lease vehicle because it may cause some problems.

Hey Marcin, thanks for your support, any idea how many interested members it needs before a campaign can get put forwards?
 _GOTOTOP