Hosted by Darren Baker
Street corner cafe
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 09:57 PM UTC

I was so inspired by Henks Hungarian Country House WIP that I decided to have a go at a building with a curved corner. I'm not using the miniart kit but rather the Roy Porter method of pressing shapes, in this case bricks carved into wooden coffee stirrers-thank you Starbucks, into plasticene to make a mould and casting the building in plaster.
Here's a pic of the mould

I did it all freehand and quite quickly so theres a lot more work to do matching the pieces together.
I'm planning to use it on a base for my tasca Firefly as a street corner cafe with tables and chairs outside and the Polish Crew enjoying a beer maybe.

Comments welcome

PS Roy Porter's book "Model Buildings Masterclass " is well worth getting.
Limey88
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 01:21 AM UTC
That looks fantastic.

I am too very inspired by the Hungarian house, im in the process of making a diorama. (My very first)

I love those archways, reminds me of the scene when they manually throw the mortar rounds at the SS forces in saving private ryan.

Exer please tell me, is that all made out of plasticene if so how do you make it completely rock hard as an end result? baking?
It looks like a very simple yet effective method of constructing buildings, i cant believe that this didn't cross my mind! - i'm currently sat here trying to construct a building out of Italeri's 'brick walls'.

Could you please tell me where you got the material?

Sorry for all the questions, im just highly interested.

Many thanks,

James.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 02:42 AM UTC
James the walls themselves are not made from Plasticene but of Plaster of paris. Here is the method in more detail.
Roll out a sheet of plasticene to about 1/2- 3/4 cm thick cut it to the shape of your wall. Now use a brick shaped object to impress whatever brick or stone pattern you want. I use different sized brick shapes carved from sprue and wood. When you've finished making your pattern build a retaining wall around it. You now have a mould of the brick wall. For the windows and arches I cut shapes from a sheet of plasticene and placed them in the mould so that the plaster would flow around them. Mix up some plaster of Paris adding a suitable brick colour, water based paint. Pour the plaster mix into the mould and shake it gently to make any air bubbles rise out. When it dries you can peel off the plasticene and there you have your brick wall. If you're careful you can reuse the mould a few times. The method is adapted from the book "Roy Porter's Model Buildings Masterclass" which is well worth getting.

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:52 PM UTC
Gday Pat
Nice job here!
This technique shows the potential scope to construct anything within reason... Has a nice flow to it! A good backdrop for a beaut tank methinks...
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi Pat,
That certainly is a great method of creating your own buildings!!My only nitpick would be the corner brick work itself.I think the bricks on the corner should be more inter woven,if you know what i mean?
Hope to see some more W.I.P pics mate!
Cheers,Shay
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 04:20 AM UTC
Here's a pic of the three pieces joined up and the the window sills added.

Quoted Text

My only nitpick would be the corner brick work itself.I think the bricks on the corner should be more inter woven,if you know what i mean?

I know what you mean Shay and have attempted to do it here. The brickwork (Due to sloppyworkmanship on my part ) slants slightly from right to left so it was difficult to join the three pieces up. However rather than start from scratch I will try and disguise it with the cafe signs and an awning.
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC

Checked out that book on Amazon.ca......... $216 !!!!!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Checked out that book on Amazon.ca......... $216 !!!!!

Wow I think it cost me £10 in a chapters type store 6-7 years ago.
Sometimes modelling books are like shares :-) :-)
I should offload it now before Osprey re release it.
 _GOTOTOP