_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/32 Airfix Crusader decals needed
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
I have an old airfix kit of a Crusader III in 1/32 and recently saw they re-released this kit with a couple of their N. Africa British infantry sets and so was wondering if anyone here picked that set up and would be willing to part with one of the decal options for this model; you see my copy is one of the original issues I got at a kit collectors show but never built it as the decals were totally ruined, the protective papaer was fused to it and when I tried to salvage them most of the decals flaked off with the paper; so there for I am hoping someone bought the re-released kit and has the spares their not wanting. TIA
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 08:53 PM UTC
I've got the Crusader kit (original one). I can see if I have anything in my decal folder that has similar markings as the Crusader kit. IIRC the kit's sheet is one that is designed to make any one of a number of vehicle markings.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC
Thanks Robin; I really appreciate this.
Yes the sheet that came with mine and the instructions show marking for 3 different vehicles ; not picky on which one either
Sabot
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:08 PM UTC
Thomas, I dug my kit out. I bought it at a hobby shop that had a pile of estate sale kits for $5 each. Mine was complete except for the figure (parts #169, 170, 171) and was a great deal. What a nice kit for something 27 years old.

Any way, my decals are complete and intact, but I do not think the quality or them are worth anything. I doubt they will stick and some items look printed off of the film.

Right now, my best matches look to be some old decals I have from a Tamiya M3 Grant, Daimler Scout Car or the Aussie M113A1 FSV.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:42 AM UTC
Thanks for trying Robin, I have some of the Tamiya ones as well but not quite big enough. I tried emailing Airfix after I saw the re-released this tank with the infantry sets but never heard from them; I asked if I could buy a set of decals.
But looks like I might have to get some decal film and scan the bad decals and print out fresh ones.
Again thanks again; really appreciate your efforts
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:05 PM UTC
Thomas,

Given that the difference in size between the decals in 1/35 and 1/32 is on the order of .020". And given that during combat operations tactical markings were put on and painted over on a very frequent basis. And finally given that most troopers on operations really didn't care a lot about the specifications of their markings, why not use 1/35 markings and make up the unit you want to model from available sets? I'm sure that modern decals will be much easier to use than the old Airfix sets and, if you look at the decals available, you'll find some bigger tha others. Just pick the larger ones.

Paul
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 06:54 PM UTC
OK, I did some more searching and found a set of Verlinden dry transfers for allied Sherman tanks. They have some markings that may work as well.

I just bought a new all-in-one scanner/printer/copier. I will try to scan them and print them out using the Testors decal making kit. I do not know how it will turn out, but if I figure it out, I will try to make a set for you.

I know I will not be able to do any markings with white in it.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:48 PM UTC
Thanks Robin, my printer is a crappy cheapy thing,need to invest in a better one myself. did you get my pm??

Paul, I see what you are saying and I have looked at some left over Tamiya British decals but the Airfix ones are really big and they didn't look right on the tank but have been looking around for other.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 05:04 AM UTC
Well, there is always the possibility that the Arifix decals are actually larger than spec. From memory, the tac and formation signs were supposed to be about 9.5" square. If the Airfix decals scale out larger htan that, you can bin them with no hard feelings. :-)

An alternative is to use available 1/35 formation signs and to paint the background square for the tac signs. They were all one colour for the combat regiments , so it's not hard, and then white number decals can be added over the top.

Just a thought. It seems like a lot of work to make decals for two or four tiiny squares.

Paul
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hey Tom,
I recently built one of these and should be able to sort you out with a set of transfers without any problems. Have got my hands tied for a couple of days but if you don't mind holding on I should be able to sort something out!

James
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 02:29 AM UTC
James,

No hurry here, I've had this kit in my closet for over 10 years so no hurry at all!!
I appreciate your and Robins help very much.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

James,

No hurry here, I've had this kit in my closet for over 10 years so no hurry at all!!
I appreciate your and Robins help very much.

You win, I've only had mine since 2003. I have to admit that the four Airfix 1/32 scale kits I own (Lee, Grant, Crusader, Humber) are pretty nice models, especially since they are dated 1976 and now over 40 years old.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:11 PM UTC
The Humber!?? wow I have not been ablew to find one of those or the 17 pdr gun but do have the rest of the 1/32 Airfix kits as well as most of the Monogram kits and all are very nice kits for the time period, especially the Panzer IV, really sweet kit and moveable suspension.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hey Tom,
Sorry to have kept you waiting, Work has been manic and my modelling attention has been drawn to the shiny new sherman my girlfreind bought me! I'll endevour to scan in the unit markings on the instruction sheet and/or the transfers this weekend, and then you can have a look at what scheme you want to go for on Monday. If I don't then it means i've been sidetracked and so please drop me a PM to get me back on it!

James
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 08:15 PM UTC
If he has any trouble, geive me a holler. I still plan on testing out my Testors decal making system with my new printer/scanner all-in-one. I plan on replacing the decals for my Airfix M3 Lee (less white ones), M3 Grant, and Crusader.
 _GOTOTOP