Hosted by Darren Baker
Club AFV 1/48th Late Tiger
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 09:13 PM UTC
I currently have this kit on order,has anyone got it yet ? What is it's quality ? it mentions that it has one piece vinyl tracks,are they decent or are the add on tracks that they also offer that much better ?

thanks
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
I haven't built mine. It looks extremely good, almost as detailed as a 1.35 kit. I can see only one error

David
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:15 PM UTC
It is a reboxing of the Skybow kit. Here is a link to a review on that model: Skybow Tiger I Late.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:56 PM UTC
The one piece tracks are pretty nice. Very flexible.

Here's a link to my WIP thread. I really should update it with my completed photos!

lWIP Thread

- Frank
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC
I have it in the stash still, but did build the Early version. It was a great little kit with excellent detail and fit. I expect the late version will be just as good.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hi there

I spotted this kit in ModelZone the other day and bought it purely on impulse. It looks great - and I'l give everyone here a laugh by trying to build my first AFV in about 30 years! In a way it'll do me good to build something that's way outside my usual area of interest - it may be a "busman's holiday" but, because I basically have no refs at all for it, I can't tie myself in knots deciding what to do (the way I do all to often with aircraft...).

That said, I don't want to mess up completely through ignorance, so the link to the problem with the splash guard is really helpful. I'll re-do the detail to match.

I also have a really basic question... how prominent should this seam be (don't worry, the parts aren't cemented together yet...)? And was Zimmerit applied over the area in one matching pattern on the full-sized vehicle?

I'll post more pics as I make progress. Any constructive comments will be much appreciated (and please don't laugh too much at a struggling propellerhead! ).

All the best

Rowan
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 06:31 PM UTC
I guess that's another problem with the kit. Imagine yourself applying paste to the real tank - you wouldn't stop at a weld line.

David
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 06:46 PM UTC
Cheers David

That's what I feared... :-) I'll have to see how much of a mess I can make with some Milliput.

All the best

Rowan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 07:38 PM UTC
My only reference in this area is the Osprey Modeling Manual on the Tiger I. Some kits show a seam within the zimmerit, others do not. I don't normally like to use someone's completed kit as a reference, but I assume the modelers who built projects for this book are more versed in the subject than I am.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 04:38 AM UTC
Cheers Robin

I share your worries about following other models as references...

I've done a bit of work cleaning up the parts this evening. I hope you'll all forgive me coming at this from an aircraft angle but, wow! - you guys are lucky if this is anything like standard for an armour kit! From my point of view, the quality of the moulding is quite exceptional; there's only a faint trace of mould lines on most parts (remember, I deal with a lot of short-run a/c kits...), I found a tiny bit of flash here and there, and it's fitting together really well so far... (I don't want to tempt fate there... )

It's great fun to tackle a tank again after so long (well, I must admit, there's a bit of the old "not another wheel to clean up?!" feeling) but no!, really great fun. I'm a firm believer that we can all learn a lot by moving outside our normal spheres of modelling experience, so I'm really looking forward to getting something to a stage where I can ask your advice on weathering and finishing (applying decals over that Zimmerit is haunting my dreams in advance... )

All the best

Rowan
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 03:58 AM UTC
I just want to say that I finally got started on this kit and I want to say that it is an excellent liitle kit,well engineered for ease of assembly,great details,and no fit issues.I plan to add Friulmodel Late Tiger Tracks once they are available.I only wish I was more computer literate with pictures and were able to post some pictures.I am eagerly looking foward to the announced 1/48 Sturmtiger and Half-track.
Lets hope Club AFV stays with 1/48 and possibly gives us some modern in the future.They really are a nice addition to Tamiya's 1/48 line.
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

I spotted this kit in ModelZone the other day and bought it purely on impulse. It looks great - and I'l give everyone here a laugh by trying to build my first AFV in about 30 years! In a way it'll do me good to build something that's way outside my usual area of interest - it may be a "busman's holiday" but, because I basically have no refs at all for it, I can't tie myself in knots deciding what to do (the way I do all to often with aircraft...).

That said, I don't want to mess up completely through ignorance, so the link to the problem with the splash guard is really helpful. I'll re-do the detail to match.

I also have a really basic question... how prominent should this seam be (don't worry, the parts aren't cemented together yet...)? And was Zimmerit applied over the area in one matching pattern on the full-sized vehicle?

I'll post more pics as I make progress. Any constructive comments will be much appreciated (and please don't laugh too much at a struggling propellerhead! ).

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

If you look at the photo record, most Tigers didn't have zim on this surface anyway, and a clear photo (of zimmerit on the bow plate) has not been found to confirm this. You could probably avoid your seam situation by just eliminating it from this area, you would still be accurate.

Steve
 _GOTOTOP