_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panther colors
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi all:

I normally work in 1/35 scale but being that I work at Walthers (the train people) I decided to pick up a couple HO Scale Armor kits from Trident. The Panther D & the kettenkraftrad pictured below:

I would like to put them in a mini dio together, but wasn't sure first if these two appeared together at the same time of the war, and second, what scheme to paint them. The panther will not have any zimmerit. Could you give me some suggestions as to an appropriate scheme and if they would be seen together. My hunch is just to paint it in a tricolor scheme (dark yellow, red brown, & dark green) but I would like to try something different for a change.

Thanks for any input you may be able to offer.

John
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 04:06 PM UTC
oh yeah....I also was wondering if you could tell me where this variant primarily served. I know they started in Kursk (at least I think that's right), but did it serve anywhere else. Thanks for all the help! :-) :-)

John
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:24 AM UTC
John,

First, very cool little models. The two vehicles would most likely have served together.

The Panther D was assigned to the Wehrmacht units in Kursk and the following battles... in addition, they served in Italy.

The primary color scheme was either plain yellow.... or a rather random, field applied cammo. The three color scheme is possible... but more likely it would be green OR brown on the dark yellow base.

One unit that had Panther D's and Kettenkraftrads was the 4th Panzer Div. which served on the eastern front.

Hope this helps.
Tim
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
Tim:

thanks alot for the reply. I'll try to look some stuff up on the 4th Panzer division. I was thinking about just the dark yellow and green. Glad you confirmed that would work.

Thanks again for your help!

John
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
I was going to say...check out missing-lynx...but you already have #:-)
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi John. All my modeling is done in 1/72nd or smaller. I have a rather extensive 1/87th collection consisting of Roco, Trident, Military Depot, Heiser models to name a few. Your choice for an 1/87th subject is excellent. The trident Panther D is a nice model as well as the Ketterand. I have the Panther unbuilt as of yet , but not the ketterand. I have a earlier Panther A from Roco done. There are two very good soft covers on the 4th Panzer Division by Concord. One from 41-43 and late43-45. The D model was utilized in many units particularly in the better Heer and Waffen Division. Primarily two and three color camo schemes were prevalent and Kursk was the first battle they were utilized in. However, they were not yet mechanically reliable although Herr Hitler held up the battle for two months waiting for the Panther and Elephant to be fielded. Concord also so does a nice Panther soft cover. I just finished the Roco Elephant in 1/87th nice model. The Ketterand was around most of the War. It was a utilized in a great many units. Off he top of my head I don't recall a picture with both together, but if I come across one I will let you know. Good luck. Butch Cassidy.

Quoted Text

...his true aim is not so much to seek battle as to seek a strategic situation...that if it does not of itself produce the decision....a battle is sure to achieve this...

Butch Cassidy Tanks46
Pig #3 Head Armorer
Der Sonntag Bund
 _GOTOTOP