_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Transporting Your Model To A Show...
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:37 PM UTC
Howdy folks! This is actually a question of technique as I'm sure everybody goes about it in one way or another.

My question is, how do you transport your model when attending a show far from home? I'll be flying from Florida to the AMPS show in MD and want to bring one or two builds along to enter. Will the airline accept these as carry ons if their boxes are small enough to fit airline requirements? Should I pack them super-duper solid and check them (yikes!)? Should I mail them to some of my family who live in Baltimore and mark them as "fragile"? I'm sure a few of you have tackled this problem and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 245 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:02 AM UTC
Well, I've only flown with a model once. I had a little cardboard box made to carry a small pet on an airplane called a "pet taxi". It was too small for my tanks, so I got a box that was the right size, yet small enough to carry on the plane and cut the top so it had a handle just like the pet taxi. I even drew some air holes on it and put the safety writing on the ends. So it read some thing to the effect "Don't leave your pet tank in the sun, make sure to give it plenty of ventilation and water". I got a lot of stares for having the air holes so obviously drawn on my box. People thought I was being cruel to a pet of some sort. :-) :-)
Anyway, the box worked fine. I wouldn't trust any bag handler or mail handler with a model. I should also note that this all happened before September 11, 2001. I have no idea how the airline rules would apply to that now.

DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:20 AM UTC
Posting this in the Modeling in General forum would be more appropriate and probably get you more help.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC
Clear tupperware. I mount the kit to a wooded base with screws, then screw through the bottom of the tupperware up into the base. I then seal the top with duct tape. The clear lets teh security ppl see what you have.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 02:19 AM UTC
Get a couple clear plastic boxes (Sta-tite ot Tupperware) that will fit your models. Cut out a footprint of the model in a piece of 1" foam and fit the foam into the plastic box.
CARRY the models on the plane as carry on. DO NOT have them go through with the baggage.
Make sure that they can see the models through the plastic or that you can easily pop the lid off for inspection.
Explain to the guy manning the X-ray machine that they are extremely delicate and maybe they'll let you by with a visual inspection only.
Be prepared to carry them in your lap the entire trip.
Be sure to pack a box for check on with all the necessary tools to make emergency repairs should anything get broken.

Never depend on anyone else to know or care about how they should be handled.
If they leave your posision you can depend on them being broken.

Good Luck,
Charles
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 02:48 AM UTC
John,

I have used clear plastic containers just recently and that would be the way to go if you are flying anywhere.
I went from Australia to the UK in 2003 with this box for the Euro comp
It went through as hand lugage and there was no problems .

It fitted perfectly in the overhead compartments on the plane
Because the outer section of the base is held into position there is no
movement or shake under the model so to speak.

If your going on a large journey and you put heaps of time into a model then the same should go for what your transporting it with .
the box was made out of MDF board ,thats what we call it over here anyway .
By the way I do not mind you submitting in this forum .
You do get a quicker reply

Cheers
Michael
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 03:35 AM UTC
When I flew to Phoenix in 04 for the Nats, I picked up a Rubbermaid tool box that would fit in the carryon compartment. (Check FAA regs for the current sizes). I then got some styrofoam for a base and cut spacers of more styrofomm. All my stuff was on essentially square or rectangular bases, I was able to make secure holding spaces for them. The box opens at the flick of the latch and stays secure while changing planes. I made sure the agent knew what I was carrying was delicate and they respected the stuff. Give yourself extra time to get to the gate, since you're making a special request. I was on 5 planes in as many airports and suffered no damage. The handle makes it very easy to carry, leaving one hand free for other stuff, like opneing doors.

The tool box has served me well in subsequent car trips as far as the 314 miles to Rochester NY as well as many more local events. You should be able to get at least a couple 1/35 tanks in there.

I must say, I felt a little conspicuous carrying this bright orange toolbox through the airports!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the responses, guys! I'm glad to know that passenger transport on a plane is actually doable. Michael, that case you built for the Dragon Wagon is particularly inspiring.

I hope to see some of you guys at the show!
 _GOTOTOP