Hosted by Darren Baker
Quick T-34 Dio
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:28 AM UTC
This was for a GB entry on another forum. The T-34 is the DML offering with a Maquette engine and tranny. Well here's my entry. The figures are a mixture of Tamiya, Italeri, and DML, all of them converted with poses changed. I'm pretty satisfied with the way the figs and tank turned out. The base I finished in all of 5 days, and the crazy rush job shows. Unfortunately, I'm moving in two weeks, and this just had to be wrapped up prior to the move. Completely ruined the base, but whatever. Oh, and everything on the base, except the door and lamp are scratchbuilt. All comments welcome, and nevermind the datestamp. Forgot to change it on the camera.

clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:52 PM UTC
Love the concept of the blown apart building with the door and frame still intact, you can find just these type of anomolies in loads of period photographs. Cool.

One small suggestion, don't know if the tanker loading ammo in is just holding a replacement round until you can fit another in his hands but the only part of the round that should be brass colored is the metal casing, not the warhead itself. You might also want to tone down the 'brassiness' of the brass (if that makes any sense!)

Nice Dio!!

Rick Cooper
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:02 PM UTC
I really like it - best thing for me is the nice 'irregular' mix of the figures. Your weathering on the T-34 is really nice as well. The whole thing 'blends' together really nicely as well..

Really nice - thanks for posting...
Tordenskiold
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 02:11 PM UTC
Nice an simple - I like it a lot.

Only small thing is the hair of the guy fixing the engine. Maybe some shadows and highlights. It kind of look like a flat helmet.

jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 05:03 PM UTC
Superb piece of work, you have captured a very natural look to the scene and the painting is excellent.
Thanks for sharing.

John
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:07 PM UTC
I like the T34 - nicely weathered. A good diorama all around.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC
your strong points here are definitely composition -good dynamics in the diorama. the tank is tops too!
Not bad for a *Quick* T34 dio
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC
Nice scene overall. The weathering on the T34 is excellent. The destroyed house looks great too. The figures look nicely painted as well. My only constructive thougts are as follows. It feels like there should be more debris in the street, IMO. Also it seems the the TC should maybe be facing the guy working on the engine or directing something. The way he is now it looks like he is seeking a target and ready to give the order to fire which doesn't fit in with the rest of the scene.

Sean
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

Ah yess...the tank rounds. I have taken those off and am painting. Thankfully my pains weren't packed up yet. And those brass rounds, after looking at the pics, REALLY do stand out too much. I'll actually paint them a mixed colour of brass with several light filters to tone it down. And I gotta paint the tip of the round black with the red band.

Originally, the concept had a much larger of the building, but a couple of problems arose, all made even bigger by the serious shortage of time. Noticeably, the street section is WAY too clean, and there is not nearly enough dust for such a large collapse of material.
Basically, I cast (or tried to, being a more accurate description) a large outer wall. Unfortunately, it leaked. THen I tried it again, with more weight and support, and some mysterious force (no one's admitting anything) knocked it over. Thus, after several nights of messy cleanup, I got fed up, and just fashioned what I could of the salvageable remnants. I'll have to take this as a serious lesson for the next one.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC
Pretty good,
Id disagree that you made a mess of the base, you're to hard on yourself, looks great to me! Apart from the obvious (the brass rounds) and perhaps the commander its a good little dio, well done!

James
madspaniard
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 01:30 AM UTC
Very good dio.The paint and weathering job is fantastic.
Pedro
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 04:07 PM UTC
hey man, i really like it, its very real.

how did you to the warn metalk effect on the tank?

matt
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 04:55 PM UTC
Overall I think it's a good dio. My only comment would have been the brass projectile, which you are already taking care of. Well done. Thanks for sharing.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 06:50 PM UTC
Good diorama - well done. Cannot really add anything on top of the comments above.

Thanks for sharing
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:16 PM UTC
i agrees with everyone else, its a nice looking diorama, you know about the shell casings, the only other thing i would comment on is your road is a little clean, in the fact you have a blown up building and the rubble from one would have been blown all across the road.

this picture show what i mean

other than that its a good build well done

keith forsyth
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 09:39 PM UTC
Nice diorama, it turned out really nice.

However there is something wrong with the mechanic. He isn't cussing and throwing the tools. Oh wait, that's how I mechanic on things!! :-) Never mind.

Just kidding, the diorama looks great. Keep up the good work.

HARV
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 04:17 AM UTC
Thanks very much for the replies.
Keith, you are 100% correct. It was one of the factors that made me quite unhappy with the end result. Considering the size of the building remanants, there is not nearly enough rubble apparent there. I will definitely keep this in mind next time.
One other little thing that is kind of difficult for me to fix now that its all said and done; the T-34 drivers hatch is open FAR too wide. There is no way the real thing could have been opened quite thus far. Again, thanks for everything guys. I've learnt quite a bit, and have a good ways to go for the next one.
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:06 PM UTC
Fantastic work!
Why did you call it "quick"? It is just more complicated than a simple grass or earth base!
Is the tank DML's?
herrvermylen
Visit this Community
New Plymouth, New Zealand
KitMaker: 207 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 01:45 PM UTC
Very well done for a rush job !
Except for the hair of the engine worker and the brass round it looks real neat !

Congrats and thanks for sharing !

Herr
 _GOTOTOP