_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftan Mk5 WIP
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC
I'm just starting to put the finishing touches on this guy. I know squat about British armor, so if it is a Mk5 or not, beats me. (But thats what is listed on the box art..) I used a combination of On The Mark Models and Eduards PR sets as well as a little bit of scratch building. I left off all of the locks and such, as well as some of the hinges. Hopefully I'll be able to get some paint on it later today. I plan on hanging some camo neeting along the side skirts as I odn't really like the way they look. Commemts welcome. Thanks for looking, "Q"
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 03:07 AM UTC
Looking good, man. Ready for the next blizzard Thursday? You'll have plenty of time to build then.
By the way, I hit the Firing Line Saturday. Nice place.
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 03:17 AM UTC
Looking good It would be appreciated if you could post more pictures pf the beast before you put a lick of paint on it.

If it's the Tamiya kit, wich I suppose it is, then it's not a MK V. I don't remember wich version it's suppose to be but someone else will soon come with the right answer

mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 03:33 AM UTC
Looks pretty sharp there Q, can see the PE adds a lot of little details, if you could post a few more pics before it gets a coat of paint it would be great.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
I think it's a Cheiftain mark 3 because of the small NBC fan housing on the rear of the turret, they upgraded all Cheiftains to the mark 5 version with a larger NBC system which was the full width of the turret bustle. It looks like you have put an MRS (muzzle reference system) shroud on the end of the barrel, these weren't fitted until the tank had been fitted with IFCS (improved fire control system) which was the mid range marks. I beleive accurate armour do an upgrade to mk 11 standard but it's expensive and still innacurate. Still it's looking good, still trying to get the hang of etch myself.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the replys guys. I got a couple of more pics of it below. Just finished up putting paint and gloss coat on if preparation for decals and a wash. Minor mishap when shotting my gloss onto the turret. I had it secured on a turn-table and the turret fell over into the air filter of the paint booth. Soooo, I had all of this paint dust fall onto the top of the turret. The Future was still wet so it stuck. I was able to brush some of it off, but it now has a some-what non-slip texture to it. We'll see how it looks once the wash and remaining weathering is done. Wasn't sure about the MRS being added, but I liked he look of it so I decided to go for it. Thanks again, "Q"

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It would not have the MRS on the end of the barrel

Mine does...I'll chalk that up for future reference though. I got some prelim painting done tonight after dinner. I still need to paint the periscopes and add the wipers to them. Also some more detail painting. Thanks again for the info guys. "Q" p. The gun tube is so long I can't get the tank in a the pics, and if I do, that's all that can be seen...

SKiernan
Visit this Community
Dordogne, France
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 08:54 AM UTC
Matt

Looks great

Steve
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 09:44 AM UTC
Matthew,
Looks Great!! Nice paint affects. The color shading looks real good, now just try to give it some pastel weathering.
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:29 AM UTC
Looks like a nice clean and fun build, reardless of the what Mk is it issues. those are issues are definately frustrating. the painting so far looks good as well. Please keep us updated.

sean
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 08:48 AM UTC
Currently filling up the bussle racks, adding tarps, MV lens headlights, and som various straps here and there. Hopefully it'll be complete by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again for the comments. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP