_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Israeli Armor on TV
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
Unfortunately, the recent unpleasantries in the Middle East have had an opportunity to showcase some really neat Israeli armor. Now, more than before, I'd like to build some of those things. There are quite a few interesting variants of Israeli equipment that I recognize as heavily modified US equipment and several that I don't have a clue about.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC
I always liked the Israeli Super Sherman, I dont know why, might be because they put so much junk on them
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 10:49 PM UTC
One piece I was watching showed a Merkava near a building (looking like it was either going to ram the wall or fire upon it). The reporter then said that they did fire upon the building to open up a hole that troops could enter through. The next clip showed the hole in the wall, but to me (who is not by any means an expert on this) it looked more like the tank had busted down the wall by impact, and not by firing upon it. Anyone else notice this? The report was on Fox.

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2002 - 11:49 PM UTC
I certainly noticed that too Jim. One thing that bothered me the most was the fact that the inside wall, which is about 6 feet away from the outside wall (the other side of the hallway) had no visible scaring on it. Seems quite odd that a shell (especially from a tank only 50 or so meters away) only blasted the outside wall. It just seems that any kind of shell would penetrate through the outside wall and at very least, leave some burning or blackening or scaring on that inside wall so close to the blast. Odd indeed.

Hmmmm.

Nonetheless, it's a crying shame...the whole situation over there.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems quite odd that a shell (especially from a tank only 50 or so meters away) only blasted the outside wall. It just seems that any kind of shell would penetrate through the outside wall and at very least, leave some burning or blackening or scaring on that inside wall so close to the blast. Odd indeed.

What if the Merkava used it's 60mm mortar??? Would that go through the inner wall too??
By the way, I love Israeli armor, as you can tell from my other post LOL I would really like to build the Merkava III with "Baz" turret and the Magach 8. And maybe a "Zelda" or an "Achzarit".
I also have DML's M50 Super Sherman and M51Isherman on the shelf.... :-)
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 06:27 PM UTC
FYI

Here is an IDF group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/israeliarmedforces/ and AEF - http://www.aefdesigns.com has been making IDF conversions for almost 20 years.

Maybe the Israeli’s are using a non-lethal breaching round. Giant ‘bean bags’ or such. Like the lead dust bag 12 GA rounds for taking out door hinges in forced entry assaults.

Dave
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Seems quite odd that a shell (especially from a tank only 50 or so meters away) only blasted the outside wall. It just seems that any kind of shell would penetrate through the outside wall and at very least, leave some burning or blackening or scaring on that inside wall so close to the blast. Odd indeed.

What if the Merkava used it's 60mm mortar??? Would that go through the inner wall too??
By the way, I love Israeli armor, as you can tell from my other post LOL I would really like to build the Merkava III with "Baz" turret and the Magach 8. And maybe a "Zelda" or an "Achzarit".
I also have DML's M50 Super Sherman and M51Isherman on the shelf.... :-)

Hey Blue Falcon;
I´m an israeli armor ffan too!
I´ve a couple of Merkavas (MKI from Tamiya and MKII from Academy w/ mine roller), a TI (from Esci) and I also got in stock a Zelda (Academy), M50 SuperShermam (DML), a Centurion (AEF Designs) and finally a Mutt from Tamiya that I´ll convert for an israeli version....
See all those news are sad and good at same time, just pray to have a real and short solution, better for both sides
Cheers!
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 08:56 PM UTC
Here's a link to a site with pictures from the raid.

http://www.waronline.org/IDF/pictures/Raids/Ramallah290302/index.html
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 09:49 PM UTC
Ahhhhhhh....my eyes, my eyes!!! Steve are you tying to make me go blind with that super cool flashing green recycle sign! (That is what it is?...isn't it?)

Man, now I want mine to do that. Hmmmm...

Thanks for the link, lots of pics there.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 02:14 AM UTC
I believe the answer to the hole-in-the-wall question may be in some of the pics on the link someone provided. On the first page of pics, you can see that at least one of the Merkavas outside Arafat's compound has a white device attached to the front. I believe that this is a breaching ram, and the white coloration is concrete dust from using it. An interesting modification, not unlike the one used in the hedgerows of Normandy. What do you guys think?
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 12:15 PM UTC
Looks like they used the tank to ram the wall to me. Can't see using a main gun round on something that close or that easy to knock over. Hell we used to drive through buildings.it was more fun. "Q"

"When loading the main gun remember.....pointy end goes first"
 _GOTOTOP