_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Russian Armor - After 1950 - DML Rumors
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 04:43 AM UTC
Okay, I like a real good tease like everyone else...so, anyone hear any good rumors lately?

I know of the "DML is doing stuff in post 1950 Russian armor - stuff that has never been done in plastic before" rumor, but any specifics?

Me, I'm hoping for a NEW TOOL T-80U, BTR-80, and BMP-1/2 series. (Dreaming).

OLD rumors, from the 1990's, were that DML tooled up both a 2S3 152mm SPG and the SA-8 Gecko. Maybe they will be the kits?

Finally, going by the old idea that if a vehicle was shown in a box cover background, it was in the works, maybe they are doing a Lebed landing craft and a 1/35 Ka-27/29/32? HA HA!

However, I think they are probably working on a BTR-60 series. Maybe.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
It would be nice if they released their modern Russian Armor in 1/72 scale as there is a big gap in this scale
Ch
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend etc :-) of DML doing a PT 76 in 1/35
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend etc :-) of DML doing a PT 76 in 1/35

That makes sense for 3-1 type kits.

The PT body was used under several platforms (FROG being my favorite).
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 06:28 PM UTC
Dreams will come true someday,................. :-)

Shall we have a collective pray to the modelgods this evening?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 06:50 PM UTC
Let me 'quash' some of the rumors

Soviet modellers WILL be getting a lot from DML this year but NOT particularly in the modern field. There are a LOT of T-34s coming out along with the 'Premium Edition' JSII.

We will be seeing the BMPs from Trumpeter though along with TWO T-62s. I would (personally) like to see a CORRECT T-55 though...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
Oh, I don't know Jim, the Tamiya T-55 is good enough to start from. I know there are a lot of variant issues, but really, al it needs is a specific engine deck and it is really good to go. (personally, I do not care if the roadwheels are marred by the engraved instead of proud vulcanizing lines) There is too much other work to be done than making a great kit perfect.

Now, to be clear, the rumor i have heard in three places, but yes, on the internet, is that the post-1950 to modern era should see some neat kits come out in 2007-2008. Considering access to Eastern Europe, and its steady rise in economic status, means that maybe some attention will be paid to this area.

What I know for sure:

Trumpeter has announced:

T-62 and T-62M
BMP-3 and BMP-3 w/ERA
MAZ tank transporter, early and late versions

That's it. Rumors are...

Tamiya was going to release a new mold T-62 based on their work of the T-55.

DML was going to release a 2S3 SPG and a SA-8 Gecko, but never did.

Trumpeter is looking into doing a T-80U (I find this one hard to fathom...)

There may be a new tool 1/35 BTR-80 coming out form SOMEONE, but noone knows for sure.

DML may be looking into doing a BTR-60, PT-76, or T-80U series. I do not hold much faith in these rumors.

Of course there is a rumor that ICM cut molds for the 2S19 and never produced them, and that someone may come out with a Tunguska ADA vehicle, but who knows...?

SKIF apparently has cut the molds for a T-84, but has chosen not to release it yet...no explanation.

So how is that for a rumor mill?
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
Like the sound of more T-34's coming out along with the Premium JS-2.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:39 AM UTC
Some time ago I had a short discussion with DML people about possibility of releasing some modern (post-50s) Russian armor and offered my help in collecting references (there is a lot of this stuff in Polish museums), but I have to say that they were not really interested at all and they believed that there was no market for such kits these days... So I hightly doubt we will see any post-WW2 Russian armor from DML in next few years.

But of course they may surprise us all

Pawel
shado67
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 220 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We will be seeing the BMPs from Trumpeter though along with TWO T-62s. I would (personally) like to see a CORRECT T-55 though...

What is wrong with the Tamiya T-55?
sxeandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 02:25 AM UTC
Personally id like to see the AIST air cushion vehicle and one ot the EKRANOPLAN Wing in ground effect planes , both in 35th scale of course

mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 03:17 AM UTC
I keep hoping for a BMP-T (Grade A Bang Bang )
The Tunguska would be cool to.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:30 AM UTC
Very Sad to hear Pawel. Very Sad. maybe people are confusing DML with Trumpeter?

nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some time ago I had a short discussion with DML people about possibility of releasing some modern (post-50s) Russian armor and offered my help in collecting references (there is a lot of this stuff in Polish museums), but I have to say that they were not really interested at all and they believed that there was no market for such kits these days... So I hightly doubt we will see any post-WW2 Russian armor from DML in next few years.

But of course they may surprise us all

Pawel

DML may be on to something... On a similar note, I heard from a brick and mortar LHS operator that he "couldn't give away modern Russian armor".

And I've found Tamiya's T55 in the bargain-bins at Hobby-Lobby.

Man, back in the 80's you were happy to have the Lindberg T55 and Tamiya T62!
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 09:54 AM UTC
Pawel, do you know something about modern WESTERN armour, besides the Abrams series?

Cheers
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:27 AM UTC
I keep hopeing for an M103 Heavy Tank but late 50's/early 60's armor dosn't appear too often. Greg
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DML may be on to something... On a similar note, I heard from a brick and mortar LHS operator that he "couldn't give away modern Russian armor".

And I've found Tamiya's T55 in the bargain-bins at Hobby-Lobby.

Man, back in the 80's you were happy to have the Lindberg T55 and Tamiya T62!

Sad but true...for Russian hardware to become cool again, it needs to become either comfortable/freindly or else scareteh piss out of us. As per the most popular subjects:

Germans of WWII: Boogeymen. Anything from that period, even written on the proverbial napkin, garners interest because they were freakin' scary professionals.

American's/Brit's of WWII: Our fathers/grandfathers crewed the vehicles that won the war. Who doesn't want to build something they dreamed of being in?

Now if someone with a T-80 suddenly launched a military campaign where they defeated comparable western equipment, or if they fought side by side with the Westerners, then popularity would shoot up. Russian stuff was cool in the cold war, now all everyone does is talk about how it was all junk and overblown. That attitude will not get kits made.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:35 AM UTC
Oh, and anyone who runs across $15 Tamiya T-55's or T-72's...I will take them, drop me a line! No sense letting those kits go to waste!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:40 AM UTC
Finally, just so DML knows, if they ever did a T-80U with the same attention to detail that they put into the M1A1 AIM, I would buy a case of kits on the spot. Period. I will put my hard earned money where my mouth is.

Same goes for a new tooled BMP-1/2 or T-72BV with intricate ERA-1/3 bricks. You bring out the cool, easy to build, dream detail kits, I will do my part.

I mean it is not like the BMP-1 is some esoteric, built in the dozens, no variants vehicle that nooone has heard of like, say, the 7.5cm Stu.Kan.on the 38(t) chassis... (I better shut up now.)
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I mean it is not like the BMP-1 is some esoteric, built in the dozens, no variants vehicle that nooone has heard of like, say, the 7.5cm Stu.Kan.on the 38(t) chassis... (I better shut up now.)

Not even that, it was just ONE prototype mockup (I doubt the superstructure was made of armoured steel) on a 38(t) chassis....

We really need a good, all new tool, BMP-1, in 1/35, 1/16 and 1/48!

Cheers,

Christophe
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
What about the Accurate Armour BMP-1 ? I can't understand why AA removed it from their range. It was the nicest kit I saw (and bought in fact !)
The details were very crisp, the cast neat as usual. I haven't checked so far if it was very accurate as far as dimensions are concerned but I can tell you it was a darn good kit at the time it was issued.
The only drawback was the running gear (sprockets, idlers and bits of tracks) that came molded with the hull ! The rest of the tracks were portion to glue to the molded ones.
Last, the hull had no floor, but it not visible and help having a light resin model. And with a good picture, you can make your own.

When I go back to my holidays home, I'll take some pictures of it.

Olivier
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We really need a good, all new tool, BMP-1

That's exactly what I tried to persuade my DML contacts to make - there is one in Warsaw museum very close to where I live, that is available for everyone to go onto and inside (although all internal equipment is removed...). I could provide DML with all measurements etc. But they were not interested...

Pawel
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What is wrong with the Tamiya T-55?

nothing really, some people just like to lady and complain over some really minor stuff...not to mention that NATO has combined the T-54/55 name designation since its just about impossible for them to tell the difference between the two due to all the interchangeable upgrades between them...Its still the best T-55 out on the market, bar none..

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

We really need a good, all new tool, BMP-1

That's exactly what I tried to persuade my DML contacts to make - there is one in Warsaw museum very close to where I live, that is available for everyone to go onto and inside (although all internal equipment is removed...). I could provide DML with all measurements etc. But they were not interested...

Pawel

Hey Pawel, if nothing else, thanks for going to bat for all us Red Army modellers. I find it hard to believe, with the BMP-1 in chinese service even, that DML will not feed their own domestic market with something better than what they have offered. Boggles the mind.

and the variant kit possabilities, including the CH tie in...boy, they are missing the boat, in my mind.

Hope that 7.5cm Stu.Kan.on the 38(t) chassis sell well...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 08:53 AM UTC
I know the tendency to kiss the feet of Dragon for anything it produces, much like the way Tamiya was in the 80's and 90's. Trumpeter is finding a great niche though. They seem to concentrate on 50's and later Armor in 35th and 350 scale warships. That is where all my hard earned dollars are going. I've got a nice set of Dragon stuff and I have been extremely well pleased with what I've got, but sorry Charlie I'm German tanked out. Don't need some one of a kind Tiger or weird little artillery piece.
 _GOTOTOP