_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Squadron.com Special LVT-(A) Alligator
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 01:17 PM UTC
only $11.99! Italeri version LVT-(A)
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
Thank you, Rob. Another timely notice that has me salivating until it arrives...now if I only had some good WWII Marine figures to go with it...

Mike

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up. I normally peruse Squadron's site for sales, but the search missed it until I looked for it specifically...Does Squadron do this often with its site? I would HATE to miss out on more deals!

Also, Great Models Webstore has a selection of Italeri kits on sale at half Retail...I picked up the LVT-1(A) for $17.50 there. They also have the M-107 and a few other interesting kits, like the M4A2 Marines...(Iknow, I know, it is not a honest M4A2, but it is still a good deal at $11.00)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the heads up. I normally peruse Squadron's site for sales, but the search missed it until I looked for it specifically...Does Squadron do this often with its site?

Yes, they have been doing this for years, ever since they had a website. It used to be called "Bruce Beamish's 24 hour E-mail Special". This was before they had secure ordering and you e-mailed in your order before the deadline to secure your kit. You could also call in the information if it was during normal business hours. There used to be a warning stating that if an announcement showed up on RMS (rec.models.scale for you newbies who haven't been online for a decade and remember having only USENET as a forum) would end the special. We circumvented this by using the old line from a commercial about cheating the phone company, "Wehadababy Eetzaboy". They caught on quickly, but then dropped the warning.

Any way, go to their "What's new" page and scroll down. When the Subscriber's Special phrase is hyperlinked, they have a special sale. The come at very irregular intervals. Sometimes they will keep it up for days, other times it's up for hours. They may have a couple of different ones up within a week, other times you don't see one for months.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the heads up. I normally peruse Squadron's site for sales, but the search missed it until I looked for it specifically...Does Squadron do this often with its site? I would HATE to miss out on more deals!

Also, Great Models Webstore has a selection of Italeri kits on sale at half Retail...I picked up the LVT-1(A) for $17.50 there. They also have the M-107 and a few other interesting kits, like the M4A2 Marines...(Iknow, I know, it is not a honest M4A2, but it is still a good deal at $11.00)

Did great models actually ship it or was it out of stock?. No run around I have dealt with these people many a time and only once did I get what I ordered in 4 days most of the time was 2 or 3 weeks latter or 2 or 3 months latter
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did great models actually ship it or was it out of stock?. No run around I have dealt with these people many a time and only once did I get what I ordered in 4 days most of the time was 2 or 3 weeks latter or 2 or 3 months latter

Yeah, don't you love it when Great Models tells you something is out of stock or not available and then it arrives a month or two later with a bill and shipping added?

And, you've gotten a substitute kit/part from somewhere else in the meantime!

But, I still buy from them...

Steve
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
I've bought stuff from Great Models several times in the past few months, and only once was an item (3 sets of individual links for T-26/Vickers 6-ton) not delivered within a week or so, but then again I don't anything if there is an indication it won't be readily available. Guess I've been lucky in that reagard....
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
Unless I order stuff that I know is all in stock at the moment, i expect GMW to take 1-2 weeks to get me anything. They are good at prices, not speed. Squadron is the opposite, good speed, but higher prices.

I got the LVT-1(a) no probs when they sent my order...but I waited about 3 weeks for all my trumpeter 1/35 chicom stuff to get in. I usually put in large (over $100) orders with them so I get a better deal on the shipping...I just never seem to be able to beat that $150 level for free shipping.
 _GOTOTOP