_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Cossacks a Kursk
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi
I am planning a Kursk dio and was wondering if any Cossacks were present durng the battle on either side. Cheers, Nick
MiG-17
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 01:57 PM UTC
Nick- In the books I,ve read about Kursk the Cossacks were never mentioned, either friend or foe. That is a very good question ! Cheers-

Rob-

Mig-17
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hey Rob
I actually posted this somewhere else first but did not receive a reply for a while so asked here to. however I have now had an answer with this link look under 4th cavalry, it says that they had cossacks and only got tanks in August 43, which would mean they had cossacks at the time of Kursk! (still not sure about the germans though!) Nick
MiG-17
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:11 AM UTC
Nick- Good info on that link! I saw the info on the cavalry units. Need to find out if these units were in fact Cossacks, or just front line cavalry. I know the Germans had cavalry,plus shall we say "White Russian" cossacks. I have seen photos of these Cossacks, and these guys are real Cossacks, uniform and all. I know DML has figure sets of Cossacks, but I bet you know that. Cheers-

Rob-

MiG-17
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nick- Good info on that link! I saw the info on the cavalry units. Need to find out if these units were in fact Cossacks, or just front line cavalry. I know the Germans had cavalry,plus shall we say "White Russian" cossacks. I have seen photos of these Cossacks, and these guys are real Cossacks, uniform and all. I know DML has figure sets of Cossacks, but I bet you know that. Cheers-

Rob-

MiG-17

Yeah I have seen that they have a set of two but in 'behind lines' poses. Are there others, also Zvezda makes some Russian Cossacks. As you say we will have to find out whether they were actually cossacks! I'll keep posting when I find something out. Nick
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 04:13 AM UTC
From what I can see here it seems that the Russian cossacks at Kursk were actually real cossacks. Still don't know anything about German Cossacks at Kursk. Nick
MiG-17
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 01:44 PM UTC
Nick- Zvezda has a kit Soviet Cossacks WW2, It,s 4 mounted figures in action, not just standing around ! The Don, Kuban, and Terek Cossacks served with the Wehrmacht. Any luck finding info about the Soviet Cossacks ? Cheers-

Rob-

MiG-17
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Don, Kuban, and Terek Cossacks served with the Wehrmacht. Any luck finding info about the Soviet Cossacks ? Cheers-

Quoted Text

With the disaster of 1941 the Cossacks were once again used to harry and delay the enemy as infantry retreated and re-grouped. Some Cossacks went over to the Germans and their allies, but many more stayed loyal to the Soviet cause. In 1942 Cossacks were once more involved in attacks on the enemy.

Quoted Text

Soviet Cossack Units 1942-43

12th Cavalry Division
4th Cavalry Regiment (Kuban Cossacks)
19th Cavalry Regiment (Kuban Cossacks)
23rd Cavalry Regiment (Kuban Cossacks)

Honorific title of Kuban Cossack Division formed in January 1942 at Krasnodor as part of the 17th Cavalry Corps. It first saw combat in June 1942. It became the 9th Guard Cavalry Division in August 1942 and the Corps became the 4th Guard Cavalry Corps.

If you read the article it says that Kuban cossacks formed the 12th cavalry division of the soviet army. Earlier in teh article it says that somecossacks joined the Germans but many stayed loyal to the soviets. Also later it says that Don and Terek were soviet but as stated above some joined the germans. Nick
 _GOTOTOP