_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Photoetch for...
kayelbe
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hi,
Picked up a batch of kits recently (first new kits in a few years), and have the superdetail bug (caught it from this site--careful it's contagious!)

What p/e or other detail parts can be recommended for:
Italeri M113 (kit no 276)--planned for a Viet Nam dio
Italeri Hummer (kit no 273)--the "commando" version, but open to modification--desert storm/ later dio

If previous posts point to good info, just let me know and I won't waste your time typing it again.

Thanks,
Kev
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 02:57 PM UTC
If you look on www.greatmodels.com and search for M113, you'll find a pile of different accessories, conversions, details, etc.

As for the HMMWV, there isn't too much out for that. You can buy some aftermarket wheels and other accessories. I don't know if you've seen this, but Rob Gronovius just posted an excellent article about the different HMMWV kits that are out there as well as some superdetailing tips. You can see it here - https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/148

Hope this helps.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:03 PM UTC
I wasn't clear in my last post about there not being much stuff out there, there is a bit, just not for that kit. You might be able to get away with another kit's PE and just throw away pieces that you don't need/use.
kayelbe
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:04 PM UTC
Thanks!
I had read Rob's article, but re-reading it gave me enough confidence to try what he recommends.

Kev
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 04:21 PM UTC
Italeri M113...I have one, but have not really taken a good look at it. I like the Academy one and have a fondness for the ancient Tamiya one. I know Airwaves makes a photo etch set for the Italeri M113A1, it is set #AFV 35-015 (I have one). Unsure if it is still in production, and some of the Eduard sets designed for the Academy or Tamiya kits may be of some use.

As far as the command HMMWV, best bet is to build it buttoned up and hide the lack of detail inside. As is and with a few minor corrections, it represents a pretty decent Gulf War HMMWV. Add mud around the tires and you may be able to avoid buying resin tires.
kayelbe
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 01:46 PM UTC
Thanks guys!
I couldn't find the Airwaves set on Squadron (my usual first stop), but noticed Greatmodels has it (100%--special order, heard that one before). I will probably go with the Eduard set. I like what I 've seen of their stuff, and it's easier to get.

As for the Hummer, I am still exploring the options, but I haven't ruled out anything yet as far as tires, etc. Great article by the way Rob!

Thanks again,
Kev
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 09:20 PM UTC
Eduard has a lot of photo etch sets for the M113 series. They range from the M113 ACV (Vietnam era), interior and exterior, M113A1, and I even think they have one for the M113A2. Their interior set is extremely detail. It includes PE floor plates, legs for the passenger seats, fire extinguisher brackets, Gun shield for the commanders cuploa, etc. The instruction sheet is 8 pages, that should give you a clue on the detail.

I've been looking at Eduard's PE for the M113 series, because after I build my next project which will be a M151A2 (TOW carrier) with a launched TOW Missile, I plan on building the M113 with the TOW on the pedastel. Not sure of its model number. It was the for father of the M901. I think the danish ahve a version of it. I think its called "Tow under armor"

What I've done in the past and still do is to go to Eduard website, it's URL is http://www.eduard.cz and do a search for what you are looking for and then go to your model site and check them out.

A good source I've used is the VLS Production (Verlinden) website it's URL is http://www.modelmecca.com

_GOTOTOP