_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Resurrected M-577
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 09:28 PM UTC
I had built this some time ago based on a disatnt photo I had seen on the cover of a Verlinden book. I knew the IDF operated them, I just didn't know exactly how they looked, so I took a stab at things and came up wit this. After a couple of moves with the military it got knocked around a bit. Recently, I decided I would take it out of the case dust it off and fix what was broke. Here where she is now. I think I'm missing a ruck sack or two which is an easy enough fix. I started off with Tamiya's M-577 which I forgot has absolutley no interior. Luckily, I had a couple donor M-113 kits on hand for the interior, radios etc. The rest was scratchbuilt with plastic sheet and strip. I added a few resin boxes and bins from Verlinden to the interior and exterior as well. The .30 cal up top was hacked up from a Brass Castings offering. The majority of the tarps, and bags were made with tissue covered epoxy putty. I used just a small amount of the Eduard PE set, mostly on the generator basket. The figure is a white metal casting that I can't recall. I was hoping he had the Type 602 helmet, when I bought it, but it is the older 601. Oh well. I painted him using acrylics and oils. The antenna mast is scratch built using brass road and styrene. I based it off of the OE-254/ 292 system I used when I was assigned as a driver for one of these vehicles. Looking back I would change a few things if I ever built one again. Namely the .30 gun ring. As it is, its in the way of the generator which couldn't be removed if needed. That and some other smaller items. Overall I still like it. Thanks for looking. "Q"

dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 09:58 PM UTC
Top notch Matthew, like a lot the big antenna setting on the right side.

Question, where did you get the razor wire? Looks a nice addition and I need to get some for a build I´m currently involved.

Cheers and thanks in advance
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:05 PM UTC
Nice job. I like what you've done with this.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:22 PM UTC
Thanks for the kudos guys.

Quoted Text

where did you get the razor wire?

I believe it came from Verlinden. Not sure if it is still around. If you can find it, be very carefull for it is as sharp as the real deal. I have the cuts to prove it Thanks again. "Q"
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:25 PM UTC
Looks great Matt. Only thing I would change is the color of the exhaust wrapping. It should be a more khaki cloth color. The exhaust pipe is wrapped with a cloth-like heat resistant material that does not rust. The antenna looks awesome. I like the interior too. Good job.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC
Very nice looking M577, Matthew. I like the weathering, and the stowage looks great. The antenna is also impressive--I bet this dio won't fit on a standard shelf!

I think you forgot to reattach the rear ramp pulley cable, however (it is hanging in mid-air in the 3rd and 4th pics).

Klaus, Eduard makes a good PE razor wire set. Be very careful if you get it--it's even more dangerous than the real thing. Here's a link to an eBay listing for it:

Eduard PE razor wire set # 35640

It's not terribly expensive, but it isn't cheap, either. Look around and you might be able to find it for less at some other online store.

janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:46 AM UTC
very nicely done, And that from only photograph.
I really like that you did the intirior as well.
A really nice model
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The exhaust pipe is wrapped with a cloth-like heat resistant material that does not rust

I built it as not having the wrap on it. I might yank it off and put it on now that I look at it as I thik it would look better.

Quoted Text

I think you forgot to reattach the rear ramp pulley cable, however (it is hanging in mid-air in the 3rd and 4th pics)

You are correct. Must have popped off while I was turning it. Thanks for the comments guys. "Q"
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 01:47 AM UTC
A darn fine build you got there. I like it.
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 02:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the answer Matt
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 04:21 AM UTC
Damn vehicle operators... Sometimes they miss those deadlining gigs like a disconnected ramp cable...

Great looking M577. You are making me want to pony up on E-bay and build one from my mispent youth. I will echo Gino and compliment the great looking OE-254.
John
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 06:05 AM UTC
Matt,

Looks great! Well done!
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thanks for all of the positive comments guys. I got the little details fixed and the 577 is back to sitting in the display case....and its all back in one piece. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP