_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DVD D-Day Assualt on Fortress Europe
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 02:51 PM UTC

Can anyone help me out with a question before my DVD blows a fuse?
There is a small clip of a British Universal Carrier passing a Stuart tank, time 44 mins 20 seconds into DVD.
I have paused, replayed at slow frame, stopped several times and still cannot make out the name on the side of the carrier. The name looks to be Wymore / Wychmore or Wigmore Castle. The AoS IS 63 but the other odd thing is the WD. It looks to be T255339 which does not fit with carrier WD numbers either.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Kevin

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 07:48 PM UTC
Kevin, there could be a simple explanation... Firstly, it's possible that the footage WASN'T from the Normandy landings. Very few production companies seem to feel it's necessary to employ such 'esoteric' people as experts in the material. I've seen some appalling mistakes over the years. Now it's entirely possible that in this DVD, they've 'spliced-in' WD or Newsreel footage from exercises in the U.K. or even from other theatres of war.

Not so much for your benefit, but as a warning to others - DON'T believe everything you see in documentaries...
KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 09:02 PM UTC
Hello Jim,

Thanks for that.

I was more interested in the confirmation of the name and WD serial to be honest.
Unless background footage can be confirmed I tend to ignore the supposed location. In the same DVD is a short clip of a Ferdinand "Elefant" and there are several short clips I have seen in DVD's and documentaries about the, confirmed Russian front .

Cheers
Kevin
KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 03:47 PM UTC
It appears that the name IS Wigmore Castle.
There is a Wigmore Castle ( and a Wigmore ) in Herefordshire, I am reliably informed. This also fits with the 63 AoS which 1st Battalion Herefordshire Regiment used.
Just need to confirm "Accussor" or "Accoustic" on a Cromwell T187676, of C Sqn.
Any thoughts?

Cheers
Kevin
 _GOTOTOP