_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Modelcraft M29 Weasel
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
In the April Sq flyer I see Modelcraft from Canada offers a 1/35 M29 Weasel kit. Does anyone know if this kit is from the old Monagram molds? I have that kit, and was wndering if the Modelcraft might be a better kit. Wishful thinking, I know.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 11:00 PM UTC
No, I have seen the Modelcraft kit in the box and it is overscaled. More around 1/25 scale than 1/35, if I was to guess. All of the Weasels I have seen in photos put the vehicle around the size of the Ford GPA amphibious Jeep. The Modelcraft kit makes the Weasel to be about deuce and a half size. I don't know of the fit and build of the kit. If it's not too much, go ahead.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC
Around the size of a duece-and-a-half? That would be a DUKW, not a Weasel... could they have got the name wrong, with the right kit? Sabot, what was your observation? Was it just a really oversized Weasel, or was it a DUKW in Weasel's clothing?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
Chuck, I was looking at that kit a little while ago too, but everything I found on it said pretty much the same as Rob has said. The site which had all the info on it is down right now (the dreaded "this site is not responding" message)

I did happen to save a link to a really cool looking one. Kinda makes me wish I had the skills, time, and resources to correct the kit.

Anyway have a look at this one...a must see!

http://dencity.com/wwiimemoirs/weasel.html
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 02:42 AM UTC
Cool pics, Kence, but I could do without the popup blizzard. If you could get enough references, the black and white one would be a cool addition to a collection.

For anyone who hasn't been to the site yet, be ready for an onslaught of popups and "special offers".
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC
I agree with you Arengca. It certainly would make a cool addition to any collection. I'm one of those that enjoys a little off-the-beaten-path subjects. Unfortunelty, there aren't too many in the way of the U.S. armor models catagory.

As far as "pop-ups", I hardly even notice em any more. I go to soooooo many different sites that use em, I think I've become immune. Sort of like comercials on the tele...annoying, but survivable. I just "Alt" + "F4" em out of there.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the in-put guys.

Ken...You may have just inspired me to try to fix the Monagram kit to do the black and white M29. Really good pics.
 _GOTOTOP