_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anti-decapitation device
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 391 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 05:29 PM UTC

Hi -I'm new to kit-modelling. I've decided to put together an array of WWII British armour (if only to limit my collection to a reasonable size). I'm currently trying to research a couple of points:

Did British jeeps sport the same upright strut on the front bumper (fender) as the US jeeps did? I understand this was a US improvisation (as with the Culin cutter).

I thought it would be an interesting detail to add- so really I'm looking for an excuse to add it to my British jeep!

Also does anyoneknow how to convert Model Master paints (as used with
Italeri kits ) to Revell paints? Specifically I'm looking for the Revell equivalent of:

Sand (Flat), Light Ghost Grey (Flat) and Gunship Grey (Flat)

Cheers

Andronicus

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 05:57 PM UTC
Not sure about the use of the wire cutter, the British Army used the jeep differently and are more likely to have used scout cars in roles when the wirecutter would be most needed. I had a quick look at the jeep photos on the IWM photo database and none had one fitted (and most had the windscreen up too). Doesn't mean that it was never used of course.

As for the colours, what are you painting? Kit colour schemes often use the nearest shade in their own range when there are more accurate colours in other ranges. Knowing what you are trying to model helps when looking for alternatives.

David

Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hi David,

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll adapt it to an SAS jeep in that case. Scratchbuilding Lewis guns should be an interesting challenge!!!

The paints are for the Matilda mk II in desert camo. The IWM has their exhibit in a two-tone sand-and-pale blue scheme - but I've seen others in a 3-tone scheme-and that's the one my Italeri kit references. My model shop doesn't supply Model Master paints-only the Revell brand.

Cheers!

Andronicus

PS I have to say -I'm new to this forum today but I've been amazed and the quality of the work here--it's a real inspiration-esp the dioramas.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi

The IWM may have been a bit wild with their interpretation of the Caunter scheme, the pale blue should really be a light green colour, while the third is darkish grey. Suggesting Revell equivalents is a bit difficult without a paint chart, but you need a pale sand colour, a light green and a dark grey (there is a Gunship Gray in the Revell range). Probably easiest to go to the shop and pick the colours by eye.

And if you are really going to scratchbuild some Vickers K guns - good luck! and this may help

http://souvenirsas.ifrance.com/souvenirsas/PgeLargageJeeps.htm

David
Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi David,

Ok thanks. I haven't been able to find a conversion chart for MM/Revell as I have for other brands.

This is the alternative colour scheme I've seen-from your description it sounds wrong too:

http://svsm.org/gallery/matilda_II-family

?

RE SAS jeep-thanks for the link. Vickers not Lewis-you can tell I've not researched it yet!

Cheers

Andronicus
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hi

The specified colours for the Caunter Scheme are Portland Stone, Silver Grey and Slate (with Green as a substitute for Slate). Silver Grey was a sort of greenish colour and similar to an RAF colour of period referred to as Sky (even though it was green). At some point, confusion intervened and it became a 'fact' that the colour was a bright blue. So that's what was used on restoration jobs until Mike Starmer researched the original records. MAFVA's site has a set of pdfs on their Research page with notes and Humbrol mixes.

Vickers Ks do look a lot like stripped down Lewis guns.

David
Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 08:00 PM UTC
Hi David,

That's interesting--I guess colour matches are going to be hard before colour photography was widespread. I picked up that there is a whole controversy about 'desert pink' too!

From what you've described it sounds like the Revell Stuart have attempted a similar scheme here:
http://www.revell.de/en/products/model_kits/model_kits/military_figures/index.html?id=204&KOKANR=01&KOSCHL=07&KGSCHL=&L=1&page=2&sort=0&nc=1&searchactive=&q=&SWO=&ARMAS4=&CatalogueSID=f322b221015b16c54dda290952462fab&KZSLPG=all&offset=13&cmd=show&ARARTN=03224&sp=1
...though the 2nd colour looks very blue.

I'll check out the MAVFA site.

Thanks again

Andronicus

_GOTOTOP