_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Anyone have informationn on this Tractor-Trailer?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC

Can anyone identify this military truck model kit? It is called "U.S. Army Ordnance
Highway Trailer". The the kit includes the prime mover and is in 1:32 and is made by Tetra Plastic Model. Most of the writing is in Japanese (I think), it has vinyl tires and the battery compartment is in the highway trailer. The front of the trailer is hinged so that you can access the batteries, the rear doors are also hinged so you can load up all good sorts of military supplies. The markings on the kit have a full color Quartermaster Corps insignia, large white star for the roof of the trailer, split white star for the rear trailer doors, US Army 2nd Infantry markings in white. Box top illustration shows the prime mover with doors and poosibly a hard top, but the kit is a no door body style (U-shaped cutout) and canvas top.

Oh what fun our guntruck building buddy could have with this kit.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 11:06 PM UTC
Sabot,

The box art looks like it might be from a company called Blue-Tank out of Asia. If you really need descriptive info I'll cheque under the Fred Crimson title. It might just be listed there.

Cheers

James
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2002 - 11:54 PM UTC
Rob just a guess,I would say a shop van or mobile H.Q. trailer I could be wrong
Chad
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC
Wasn't that the HQ trailer used in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind?? That mountain in the background looks a little familiar.

:p

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 12:42 AM UTC
Wasn't that the HQ trailer used in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind?? That mountain in the background looks a little familiar.

Jim
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob just a guess,I would say a shop van or mobile H.Q. trailer I could be wrong
Chad

No, it's just a cargo trailer, hence the QMC markings. A shop van or HQ trailer would have vents, windows, power generation and maybe A/C. Just wondering if anyone knew the origins, re-box of XYZ kit, copy of ABC kit, etc.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
Darn, sorry Rob. Don't really know. Damn, if I had the kit, I'd be asking you where it hails from!! :-) :-) :-)

Tread.

P.S. Should I copy your original post at the top and paste it in the forum 'Stump Sabot'??
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 08:56 AM UTC
O.K..........here's a shot in the dark. This is probably not what you're looking for but it's the only input I've got. (feel like the drunk version of "Kid Sheleen' here facing off against Lee Marvin with the metal nose 'patch' )

The truck generally looks like one of the big rigs that would go up Route 19 in the central highlands carrying cargo, and the rig itself looks like an M51 truck. that's pulling it.

Sorry, that's all I've got

Tread.

P.S. Finally, you're asking a question that involves plastic and none of us have the answer.......
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 12:26 PM UTC
I'm not sure what it is, but...where did you find it? That looks like a very cool project. And you're right, Gunnie could probably find something interesting to do with it.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 12:55 PM UTC
Rob
According to manual TB-43-0209 "color,markings,and camo guide" , Your model looks to be a M44 2-1/2 ton tractor and the trailir looks to be a M348 6 ton van
As for the origans of the kit itself,I'm stumped too
Vince
Cullman Ala
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 10:18 PM UTC
I agree with Vince's post on the model too Sabot - and YES, I'd LOVE to have that critter on my workbench right now!

Sooooo envious - where'd you find it?

Gunnie :-) :-) :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

{b}I agree with Vince's post on the model too Sabot - and YES, I'd LOVE to have that critter on my workbench right now!

Gunnie :-) :-) :-)[/b]

What a gosh darn minute there Gunnie! I suggested a tractor trailer guntruck to you in another thread and you just 'blew off' the idea. Have you reconsidered, or are you just kissing up to the General?? :-) :-)

Tread
Sabot
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I was stationed at Ft. Dix, NJ there was a local hobby shop that carried mainly aircraft and a handful of older armor kits. It was just in the pile of about 12 or less ground vehicle kits. It had been there a while and we opened it to see if the kit included a prime mover since the boxtop only labeled it as a Highway Trailer. The tractor is included and does resemble the box art, but is different as I said in that it is a soft top tractor without doors. It sort of resembles the old Monogram deuce, that's one of the reasons why I ordered the Revell of Germany re-box of the Monogram deuce.

Of course the reason why I grabbed it was that I had never seen a kit of a military tractor-trailer combo except for the Dragon Wagon and towed arty and such. I spent the weekend cleaning out my garage and looking through boxes of kits when I ran across this one. I'll take some photos and post them to the boxtop gallery tonight. I was hoping or assumed you would have some information on the origins of this kit since you lean towards different soft skins.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:17 AM UTC
Hmmmm...do I smell the "highest bidder"? Than again, I doubt it, being that it is a "no where's around any more kinda kit".

Rob, I searched high and low out there to find anything at all on that kit. Is there any other relevent info you may have missed that you could give me? Maybe at the bottom of the instructions...small print???
Other than what you've given...nothing, zip, nadda???
The closest thing I came up with was of some interest. There is a company located in Bethlehem, PA, named Tetra that makes injection molds for plastic. Hmmmm.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

{b}I agree with Vince's post on the model too Sabot - and YES, I'd LOVE to have that critter on my workbench right now!

Gunnie :-) :-) :-)[/b]

What a gosh darn minute there Gunnie! I suggested a tractor trailer guntruck to you in another thread and you just 'blew off' the idea. Have you reconsidered, or are you just kissing up to the General?? :-) :-)

Tread

I build a wider variety of subjects than just gun trucks. I wouldn't be building that model kit as such - I'd make it into what it is supposed to represent. My prefered area of armor modeling is, after all, wheeled military vehicles - and if from the late 1950's to early 1960's even better!

Gunnie

GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

When I was stationed at Ft. Dix, NJ there was a local hobby shop that carried mainly aircraft and a handful of older armor kits. It was just in the pile of about 12 or less ground vehicle kits. It had been there a while and we opened it to see if the kit included a prime mover since the boxtop only labeled it as a Highway Trailer. The tractor is included and does resemble the box art, but is different as I said in that it is a soft top tractor without doors. It sort of resembles the old Monogram deuce, that's one of the reasons why I ordered the Revell of Germany re-box of the Monogram deuce.

Of course the reason why I grabbed it was that I had never seen a kit of a military tractor-trailer combo except for the Dragon Wagon and towed arty and such. I spent the weekend cleaning out my garage and looking through boxes of kits when I ran across this one. I'll take some photos and post them to the boxtop gallery tonight. I was hoping or assumed you would have some information on the origins of this kit since you lean towards different soft skins.

I'll dig around my information at home - I don't have it ALL memorized

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmmm...do I smell the "highest bidder"? Than again, I doubt it, being that it is a "no where's around any more kinda kit".

No, I'd prefer to keep it since it is sort of a one-of-a-kind. I'm am extremely curious as to its origins and if and when I do build it, it would be like Gunnie says and be build like the truck it's supposed to represent.

I'll check the directions for fine print and the sprues for any telltale signs of another manufacturer. There are drawings of other vehicles on the box side like an M-26 Dragon Wagon (this kit probably precedes Tamiya's DW by 30 yrs). The trailer is similar to the PLL and MSL vans used to carry class IX repair parts in. It is a cool model.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
The mystery continues: I received my reissue Monogram M-34 deuce today and I can safely say that the mystery truck does not share the same heritage, other than being a US 3 axle truck. The box art side shows 3 other vehicles in the "U.S. Army Ordnance Series", the M-36 cargo truck (regular deuce), M-26A-1 Heavy Trailer M-15A-1 (looks like a Dragon Wagon pulling a huge I-beam with a positional trailer set), and the 45 ton Transporter (this is a Dragon Wagon with an M-48 on it).

All descriptions and directions are in Japanese, there is an inner cardboard keeper that has "Semi Trailer Van 6 ton" within the Japanese text. The tires are the same size as the 1/35 Monogram kit, but the figures that come with the kit look more like 1/40 scale.
 _GOTOTOP