_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Fire??
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi
I am planning a dio in which there will be a very recently destroyed tank (T34), therefore I was wondering what would be the best way to simulate this, especially fire? Thanks in advance. Nick :-)
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC
Fire is probably the hardest thing to replicate. I have never really seen it done effectively. It is best to show it after the fire has gone out with ash, soot, charred metal, etc.
Newbie_modeler15
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:30 AM UTC
Smoke can be done pretty easily but fire i honestly have no clue how to make all i can think of is candle wax then forming it and painting it.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:44 AM UTC
As said, smoke is much easier to create, and make it look real. Fire a lot of the time, just doesnt have the right look when its done.

That said, here is an old thread where it was done pretty well:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/67080&page=1

Although I still feel just straight smoke looks better, such as Paul's excelent work on this Bradley
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/592
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 04:09 AM UTC
As the other posters mentioned, fire is the hardest effect to pull off. I did see one diorama featuring an M4 Stuart, an old church and debris. The guy had used several reddish colored fiber optic lights, some red paper from a candy wrapper and a crushed up Xmas tree bulb or two for the glowing effects. A lot of work and if done right does look pretty good, but for great roaring flames, stick to the post-fire look, much easier and safer as plastic and heat do not get along.
Ironmike
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC
just a thought could you utilise LED placed under a dark covering, this could be made to look like glowing embers, while not a raging fire it would give over the impression of a recent event.
Beaver22
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi There

Some good advice so far. Don't know much about fire, but I have used a small LED, painted red and submerged under debris to creat embers

As for smoke, a burnt wine bottle cork looks great rubbed onto models. The texture of the ash is just right.

Good luck

Stuart
RAM-G
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 04:55 AM UTC
maybe you can try something like this:

http://coolminiornot.com/37085
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 06:05 AM UTC
Model railroaders use an electronic device that simulates flickering flames in campfires and 55 gallon drums. Look at Walther's and under electronics, you'll find "flickering fire module".
Now, you won't be able to show actual fire, but, hidden behind destroyed hullwork, the device will simulate a fire behind line-of-site.

Hope this helps,
Cuhail
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:45 AM UTC
Actually, I remember one now that looked pretty good in my opinion, sadly, I only remember seeing it on Digital Dioramas. It was a Panther, IIRC, under a tree, with a fire on the engine deck, the "smoke" going up and secured to the tree, and crew getting away from the tank.....if anyone knows what Im talking about, it may be good to post an image in here.
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hi Guys
Thanks for all your help.

Quoted Text

anyone knows what Im talking about, it may be good to post an image in here.

This would be useful to see if anyone has any picures or knows where they can be seen. Nick
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 01:42 PM UTC
Here's how I did it. The article is on Arnorama somewhere but also here:
https://www.monroeperdu.com/DefeatofFrance1.jsp

Hope this helps.
Mike
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
One way to show fire could be to build up layers of clear resin either painted between each layer or the paint mixed in with the resin in each layer. Maybe combined with a led lighting it up from below.

just my 2 cents.
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hi guys
Thanks very much for all your help, where can i get clear resin from?? Nick
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:02 PM UTC
Sticking with the model rail road theme you could also pick up a smoke unit for under 15.00 USD from Walthers. This and some some fluid and you have an actual smoking model. Combined with the flashing lite and I think we would get the fire idea. I would love to see the clear resin idea , any one have any photos?
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:10 PM UTC
I’m not sure if this will work for bigger flames but on this one I used clear silicone-kit (bathroom style) to form the flames, with a yellow/orange light bulb lighting it from below it look pretty convincing (if I say so myself) the smoke I would do with a little smoke generator (and not the cotton I used on this vignette)
Maybe for bigger flames one should indeed use clear resin or a combination of resin and silicones?

Important is (I think) that the flames are somewhat transparent and not solid.

Could luck!
Mark
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC
I use the cotton with model masters paint airbrushed. I paint the colors on the cotton with is partially pulled into shape. After it dries I pull it out into the shape that I desire even more. This thins out the "smoke". I try to make the paint and metal look burned. I studied a lot of photos of burning vehicles to try to capture the effect.

harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Dave
Nice looking dio and the smoke/fire looks pretty good, I will have to give it a go when I get to doing my dio, so many great ideas to choose from I will probably experiment with them all and choose the one that works best for me. Any other techniques or pics out there?? Nick
 _GOTOTOP