_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M51
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 329 posts
Armorama: 254 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 09:35 PM UTC
Was reading a short article on the M51 ISherman used by IDF.
It says this vehicle was used in both the six day war and again in the yom kippur war...

Anyone know if the same unit was involved in both war ?

I have the old dragon M51 kit. It has decal for only the 6 day war but I would like to built one for the Yom Kippur war..want to paint it in grey instead of the desert yellow....

anyone ?
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC
A few units may have been the same, but by '73 most if not all IDF Shermans were in the Reserve units, not the front line ones. These units mobilized and fought on both fronts; on the Golan a battalion of M51's ambushed an Iraqi armored brigade at night in a narrow defile and slaughtered it. IDF paint is notoriously difficult to pin down, and is a greyish khaki color. It has varied over time, and possibly for units intended to fight on different fronts. Sinai-intended tanks appear to be ore yellowish while Golan ones more grey. All this is before the shift to a more greenish-gray tone in the early 1980s. By your post I presume that you also wish to use the kit markings, and I believe that they are correct for '73 but not for '67 as labeled. If I have that backwards, somebody will no doubt correct me in a hurry! HTH,

Greg
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:27 AM UTC
The other thing to remember about the M51 is that it was product improved over time. The exhaust in the kit is for the late model M51s, too late for the '67 war. If you are looking at doing a particular version (time wise) beg/ borrow Israeli Sherman by Tom Gannon or do a Google search for Israeli Shermans. The paint also evolved over time from the "sand- gray" to a "gray-sand". Vehicles from '73 seem to have had the latter but it was not carved in stone. Any problems let me know and I can scan some pics for you.
Doug
This post was removed.
 _GOTOTOP