Normandy Groundwork?
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 03:03 AM UTC
I need help with my groundwork here.
So, i need help with the area's of grass in my latest dio.
One of the corners is a field, surrounded by a dry stone wall, and the others are just basic grass.
What would be usefull for realistic grass to represent late summer in normandy?
Oh, and also, What would be good as reeds for the pond area?
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 01:11 PM UTC
Gday Scott
It's kind of difficult without a pic or plan to work off, but here are a couple ideas...
The most realistic grass if cost ain't an issue would be Heki or Siflor grasses, which come attached to a matting which is invisible once in place. They can be removed and placed in idividual clumps as needed...
They both have a variety of seasonal grasses, and I recommend having a butcher's at some online stores which carry them...
As for reeds, you could use Hudson & Allen as one example who have dyed deer hair swatches which are realistic as individual strands...
Plumbers tow or hemp can be used as a cheap alternative, and can be painted before implanting or once in place...
Hope this helps some, and get a pic happening!
Cheers
Brad
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 05:02 PM UTC
Hello Scott, every year I go to Normandy to visit the battlegrounds. Because I am a modeller, I watch every single inch of nature and vegetation. Take a look for reference photos on the internet. I like to airbrush my vegetation on a diorama, it works very well and you can give your grasses beautiful tones representing late summer vegetation. Try to mix different lengths of grasses, and try to add small plants, weeds, etc using all kinds of foliage. Success mate !!!
 _GOTOTOP