HUP conversion Step by Step thread
Wheezy
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 07:55 PM UTC
Good day all,

I have recently been bogged down in a dio from hell that just doesn't want to work itself out, so I have decided to put it aside for a while and start work on my next project. I thought I would run a step by step thread on here following what I believe is quite an unusual subject. I will be converting Italeri's Chevrolet CWT 15:

into this:

The above vehicle is a Heavy Utility Personnel (HUP) CWT-15, used as a command vehicle , etc by Commonwealth Forces in WWII.

While there is a Plus Models conversion set, I will be doing this entirely from scratch, as there is no fun in doing something the easy (but expensive way).

To start off, I ordered various things from GMD for the build, including treadplate, mesh, and a PE set for the quad gun tractor, which in theory would fit for some of the HUP, as the cab and chassis were the same. Unbeknownced to me, after checking images of the set on the Eduard site to amek sure it would work, I ordered the set for another type of quad gun tractor. This means that most of the PE is useless as is, but some can be salvaged with a little work. Things are already off on a bad note. I noticed today that there is a small set with some of the parts that are missing in it, so I'll probably end up ordering this.

When complete, the HUP will go in a dio with scratchbuilt/heavily converted figures, provided my sculptng skills develop a bit more.

I plan to update this thread as I make progress on my build (weekly perhaps?) if all goes well.

Good reference can be found here:

http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.com

Daniel
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 01:20 AM UTC
Dan,

Ambitious project, but good luck to ya!

Just to note, there is an Eduard PE set for the 15 cwt that may be more what you need for the HUP.

Also, I am building the Chev FAT and have made a set of seats that have a better representation of the usually mashed canvas cushions. If you want some PM me and when I unpack my shop (moved a little while ago) I'll cast you up some for your project.

Paul
clarkie
Visit this Community
Cotes-d`Armor, France
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 03:23 PM UTC
I will be following this one closely, I am a novice who only builds British and Commenwealth models, looking forward to seeing the progression of the conversion Good luck
jaeger44
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:49 AM UTC
Dan, just come across this old post. Was there any follow up? Like to see how this progressed
 _GOTOTOP