_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Helmet Visor Colors: Gold, Black, Maroon?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:02 AM UTC
I've two questions regarding the color of helmet visors, such as those on pilot helmets. Why is the visor always glossy black and not gold or anti-laser maroon tinted like binoculars, astronauts, or motorcycle helmets? Since a pilot won't be on the ground, I don't think a gold visor would attract attention.

Second question: For Soldier 2025, which wears a "motorcycle helmet," would a chrome or gold-tinted visor make any logical tactical sense? I'm trying to model this guy and was wondering what color visor I should paint.

http://www.natick.army.mil/about/pao/pubs/warrior/00/janfeb/future_warfighter.htm

Thanks.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:50 PM UTC
Trisaw,
The visor looks pretty clear to me.
What about a thinned down coat of Tamiya Smoke (X-19) on the inside surface just to give it that 'tinted' look.
All the best
Tom
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 09:39 PM UTC
I'm not looking for an accurate duplication of "Future Soldier 2025," but something more in the lines of HALO's Master Chief or any future soldier.

I'm just wondering as to why there are no gold or maroon tinted visors for ground troops. Would it give away the camouflage?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 07:22 AM UTC
The gold or maroon visors woud stick out like a sore thumb for ground troops. That is teh same reason mirrored or shiney sunglasses are against regulations for ground troops as well. I don't think there is really a need for them for pilots either.

The astronaut gold was for the intense light from the sun at relatively close distances and without the filtering effects of the earth's atmosphere.

Pilots rarely hve to worry about lasers making it insie the cockpit either. At the heights they fly, no laser is really powerful enough to reach and still be at a dangerous level. The common smoke tint is effective against the sun levels they encounter at altitude.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 09:11 AM UTC
Thanks, Gino, and that makes total sense.

I'll airbrush the visor black or smoke.
grandadjohn
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 06:43 AM UTC
Some aircrew members used clear visors on thier flight helmets(you where offered the choice of a clear or tinted visor), I did, visor also protects eyes againt flying bits of metal and plexiglas from rounds piercing the windshield or fire in case of a crash, other windows and the a/c skin, I used my issued sunglasses for protection from the sun and changed to my regular glasses when the sun went down
 _GOTOTOP