_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cammo Nets
joina25
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2003 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi there
I have just nearly finished building a Tamiya Challenger 1 mk3 painted in Gulf War colours and the net bins on the turret are looking a bit empty. I want to fill them with some nets but i am not sure how the hell to make them. Has anyone got any pearls of wisdom as to how i can make them, or do i have to buy them from somewhere? If so what manufacturer makes them? Also has anyone got any good dio ideas for this vehicle? please help.
Joina
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 12:15 AM UTC
If I am not mistaken the camo nets used in the GW are more 'filled in' they aren't as open and airy as WWII nets.
I would look into some type of medical gause. Try and spread it a bit and then roll it up or drape as you want it. Coat it with 50/50 solution of water and white glue. Let it dry. Paint it as necessary. You could even try to add the little extra 'leaf' things by cuttying up paper into fine pieces and dropping them into the white glue water mix.

I know that some manufacturers have made these too if you want to buy some.
joina25
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC
Thanks
I think that i have some bandages lying around i might try and white glue them then sprinkle on some herbs from the kitchen (they make nice leaves) and then paint em. Its given me an idea anyway thanks
Joina
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:57 AM UTC
Want to see some really cool camo netting? Check out this page on Missing links!

painted gauze and Woodland Scenics turf white glued and painted
About the best Ive seen done yet!
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:48 AM UTC
I've had good luck with slodder's method, but I use cheese cloth from Hobby Lobby or any craft store, and I use McCormick spices (mostly parsely and basil) for the leaves.

Mike

dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:36 AM UTC
Cheese cloth is a lot cheaper if you buy it at the grocery store.....just a money saving tip.
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi I use black lace material of various sizes to do camo nets. It's cheap a couple of dollars per sq yard gives enough for numerous models,and its easy to work with. Wash with a softer to amke it lay better. Painted it up and add painted strips of tissue paper or tracing paper/wrapping paper and your good to go! Actually the better halfs idea after speaking aloud to myself.

Quoted Text

I don't care how they dress as long as they mind their fighting. Wellington

Butch Cassidy
Pig #3 Head Armorer
DSB
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 08:00 AM UTC
Couple of points;
Plasticbattle beat me to the punch with link. Darn.
Second, if I had black lace like Tank46 I would be putting it on my wife, not a model. I’m a hard core modeler, but not that hardcore. Hee Hee…
 _GOTOTOP