Hosted by Darren Baker
Airfix-any news?
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 391 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 09:12 PM UTC

Since the news that Airfix was bought up by Hornby everything seems to have gone onimously quiet. Does any one know what the current state of play is?

I heard they had a stall at the recent UK toy fair but can't find any presence on the net--even their much-neglected site appears to have come down (though it could be a prelude to a relaunch).

Cheers

Andronicus
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 03:18 PM UTC
Latest thing I heard is that scince the buy out they are re-grouping and kind of considering their options and generally getting their act together etc. Hopefully this will lead to them sorting something out in the near future, particularly re-stocking the world with humbrol enamels!
From what i've heard we should definately see something in the future, it's just a question of how long....

James
Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 04:59 PM UTC
Thanks for your reply. Interesting--I guess they're working out how Airfix can compete in a market that seemed to overtake them a while ago. Hope we see something soon....

Cheers

A
ice32
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 05:43 PM UTC
Hi the bloke in my local hobby shop has told me every week for the last month or so that he is supposed to get a delivery from airfix which include new paints and kits etc.
They are doing a range of prepainted models that have a few parts that you join together and some new diorama sets aswell.
Plus there new catalogueis out as well which has some nice new things in it.
Richard
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:59 PM UTC
That's good news Richard. I would really hate to see Airfix go forever. All my kits were Airfix when I was young. I loved just seeing the Airfix logo even though I could rarely afford to buy a kit.
darreng
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:09 AM UTC
I would like to echo what Murdo said. When i first started modelling at the tender age of 10, I cut my teeth on the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk I. So Airfix are a part of modelling heritage. I would love to see something new from them soon.
ice32
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:02 AM UTC
Im glad that they have been saved i just hope there kits are a bit more up to date than they used to be.
My first models where the hurricane and spitfire and i loved building them as a kid.
Richard
tedmott
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC
it seems that us 'British' modellers were weened on the good old airfix kits, starting with the series one's in the plastic bags with the folded card tops, and then as we gained in confidence we started getting kits in boxes.

the range was fantasic and the catologe helped pass many a trip to the loo, reading page after page deciding what to spend one's hard erned pocket money on

lets hope we see them back soon, and in a big way

ted
shado67
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 220 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it seems that us 'British' modellers were weened on the good old airfix kits, starting with the series one's in the plastic bags with the folded card tops, and then as we gained in confidence we started getting kits in boxes.

the range was fantasic and the catologe helped pass many a trip to the loo, reading page after page deciding what to spend one's hard erned pocket money on

lets hope we see them back soon, and in a big way

ted

I was a fan o fthe old Airfix airplane kits here in the US as a young modeler. I then moved to the some ships. Later in my more advanced years I discovered the Humbrol Paint line and still prefer it to any paints on the market.

In my opinion they are the finest enamels ever made. I am looking forward to seeing the paints on the shelves again.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:41 PM UTC
I think its rare to find a British modeller that didn't build an Airfix 1/72 Spitfore Mk. 1a as their first ever kit!
For that Airfix will always hold a place in our hearts!
Lets hope as richard says that they are going to bring the company up to date, as indeed they seemed to be attempting to do with the release of the 1/32 multi-pose figure sets. What they need is a cash injection from Hornby to get some new 1/35 sets on the market and hopefully they will be on the up from there.
However, more importantly those 1/72 spitfires will go back on the shelves to get a whole new generation of kids hooked on the hobby.
Mike, I couldn't agree more, and the lack of a full humbrol range at my fingertips is starting to take it's toll! Revell are not as good (plus i've got to learn a whole new set of numbers!) and there are jobs the acryilics just can't do as well as the enamels!

Hurry up Airfix!

James
Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:28 PM UTC
I guess the problem is that, whilst an emotive brand, nostalgia alone isn't going to keep it alfoat. Perhaps they could buy in out-of-production lines to help bring the standard up to date whilst they work on some new releases......

I wonder how long it takes to commission and sculpt a new kit. Does anyone know the processes inolved?
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
I remember starting my modeling w/Airfix armor kits and Matchbox armor kits. I hope Airfix brings their kits up to todays standards and release new kits at the same time
Ch
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess the problem is that, whilst an emotive brand, nostalgia alone isn't going to keep it alfoat. Perhaps they could buy in out-of-production lines to help bring the standard up to date whilst they work on some new releases......

I wonder how long it takes to commission and sculpt a new kit. Does anyone know the processes inolved?

Airfix despite the doom sayers was actually profitable and had carved a very successful niche selling to UK supermarket chains as pocket money kits. A variety of circumstances brought them undone such as Hellers administrators seizing all their stock.
I can't see much change from Airfix and certainly not too much in the 35th range unless they are reboxings.
I'd love to see Airfix revamp their multipose range in 35th with new tooled weapons but I'm not hopefull
Al
FalkeEins
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 868 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hornby/Airfix are based in my part of the world - a few months ago the local press carried a series of job ads for researchers and sales people to work on the Airfix brand to be located in the Margate area..(Kent, UK)
 _GOTOTOP