Hosted by Darren Baker
Extra tracks - how to make?
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 391 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 09:28 PM UTC
Does anyone have any suggestions for making extra tracks to replicate spares weled onto to armour for extra protection?

I was wondering if pressing sections of track from say a Revell kit into plasticine to make a mould then fill it with epoxy glue and leave it to set. I don't know how the two materials will react or how well it the epoxy will release but I might give it a go. Outside probably!

Cheers

Andronicus
fsrpcunha
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 05:46 PM UTC
Although this is not what you're asking but:

Why not buy the Italeri M4A1? It has both L&L and strip tracks. The L&L has enough for whatever you want.

Cunha
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 06:10 PM UTC
That is one way. You can also use clay as a molding agent.
There are a couple of scratchbuilding features on the site that outline molding and casting.
I have use latex rubber for molds and then cast them with resin.

I would put some vasline in the mold or kitchen non-stick spray into the mold to act as a release agent.
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 391 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 05:16 PM UTC
Hi Caunha--thanks for the tip. I was recently on the hunt for german decals and horrified to see they cost more then a whole new kit. Then I bought the Revell French tank combo set which had alternative decals for German use....So maybe other kits are the answer for some of these things...but really it comes down to cost--and also the freedom of being able to supply my own extras at will...

Hi Scott, Thanks for the tip--I'll give it a go!!!!
 _GOTOTOP