_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Weathering Stick
CaptMallory
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hi,
I just bought the Tamiya wheatering stick.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87080weathering/index.htm

Does someone have experience with this item? I can say, it's really great, but maybe you guys think it sucks
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC
I am surprised no one has answered this. Likely it got missed by a few people who do use these (as I remember them talking about it before).

Perhaps they will see it now.

Have you used other weathering powders before? I think it's much the same no? Just a difference with the applicator.

Cheers,
Jim
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hi,
I just started playing around with the stuff myself, after it's been sitting in a draw for about a year

I found the best way (so far) to apply it is to use an old brush with very short bristles and just dab it on in small amounts, building up slowly. Brushes clean up in Tamiya thinners (IPA).

Hope that is of some help.
cheers
David
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 04:46 PM UTC
I'm still experimenting with the sticks as I tend to be a bit heavy handed with them. However, I really do like the weathering sets that Tamiya has released. Once again, still experimenting with them. I've found that using various size make-up applicators give you lots of options for how you want to use them.

The one thing that stands out from both products is to use sparingly as they build up VERY quickly.

- Frank
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 06:00 PM UTC
I picked up the Tamiya weathering sets on sale from my LHS. I think no one around here knew what they were, so the owner of the store discounted them cheap to get rid of them. Personally, I like them. I find using a combination of these plus pastel chalk dust really creates a great wron and used effect. I am surprised more people havent posted here. If you havent tried these yet, I would reccomend them. They are very nice, clean, and easy to use.

Gary
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 245 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:01 PM UTC
What is the consistancy of the weathering stick?
I don't see how it could be a powder, so is it a paste in stick form? I know what the weathering "sets" are like but have not seen or heard of a detailed descrition of the "sticks". Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!

Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:18 PM UTC
The weathering sticks are crayon-link, but softer. Sort of in-between a pastel and crayon, in my estimation.

- Frank
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
Reminds me of some sort of weird alien make up case

The LHS round here has a few, i've seen them before, but never purchased any, might do so on saturday when i'm in hunting down some marines from dragon, Third time lucky!
CaptMallory
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:21 PM UTC
It's very easy, because it's ready to use, and I don't need to clean up a thing. Maybe that's why I like them
Anyway, I think it's a pity that there is no colour hue, and who has seen mud yet in only one same colour
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC
Here is the mud colour,......

cheers
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:35 PM UTC
I've tried these briefly, but to be honest, I did not like them very much. They definitely don't suck, but I find that with run of the mill pastel chalk dust, and powdered pigments, I get more control as to the application. I found that with these you really have to have a light touch and patience. They do build up VERY quickly if you've got a heavy hand.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:44 PM UTC
I really can't say i'm a 'convert' either - I use Mig Pigments exclusively and with a variety of applicators (including a tiny make-up brush ) I find that I can get all the control I want. The color 'palette' of the Tamiya set is too limited as well. They are, in their favor, a good point to start for those who've never used pigments before although the color range is VERY limited..
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 288 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Capt,
I have all three weathering sticks: a light earth, a darker mud, and a snow, and I find them very good indeed.
I agree however with the others, who say that the colours are a little limited, but I got them before I knew of Mig Pigments, and as Jim said, they are a great place to start.

I apply them with a short, flat head brush, and add water to vary how it is applied.

Harry
 _GOTOTOP