_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Question on T-34/85 DML
Deacon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hey guys,

I picked up the DML T-34/85M NVA version. Looked all over for a WWII type but to no avail. I want to back date it to a WWII version. I was looking the kit over and apart from changing out the roadwheels to an earlier type, and adding a Jordi Rubio barrel, what else would I need to do to this puppy. Real nice kit by the way.

Picked it up for $14.00! Thought it was a decent deal.

Thanks
Deacon
:-) :-) :-)
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
KitMaker: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi Deacon,
I have the zvezda T34/85 which is good and accurate for WW2 era, and i was looking for the NVA version to make a late T34/85.
wann'a trade?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC

Deacon,

I have 3 of the DML WWII versions and would be interested in trading for another one of the NVA versions.

Let me know if interested.

Steve
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 01:09 AM UTC
The only differences between the box you have and the WWII version are the instructions, decals, and wheels. I would be willing to trade you those pieces from one of my WWII versions if you are interested. If you are interested send an email to [email protected].
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 01:46 AM UTC
The only major difference apart from the different wheels as noted is that there may be an external fuel pump box on the post 1960 model (on the left hand side if memory serves) and the post war turret may have the seperate mushroom vents - one over the gun and one at the back of the turret. The WWII Model 1944 turrets had two mushroom vents at the rear of the turret. Do yourself a favour - buy an Italeri/Zvezda WWII model T-34 and keep the Dragon one for Vietnam era.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
a question more or less related :
How good is the zvezda kit ? And how does it compare to the DML one ?
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
The Zvezda kit is pretty nice. It is dimensionally accurate and builds reasonably well, but the DML kit is still the best T-34/85 on the market. Let's hope that they go ahead with their plans to do a T-34/76 Mod 1940 and Mod 1943 this year.
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
Almost bound too now that Cookie Sewell's articles on backdating to an A is running in Military Modelling... :-)
If you can find a Maquette version its well worth getting, Model 1946 turret, 'full spider' wheels and an accurate engine deck grill complete with a piece of plastic grill - it even has seperate plastic track links. Ok it's no Dragon, but then the price is a lot lower too.
Deacon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hey All!

Thanks so much for the help on this and the offers. I do appreciate it.

I think that I have a good use for the wheels on another project. I have a scrap box with a bunch of Tamiya T-34 types in it to scrounge wheels for the build. Though I was most interested in the recommendation of the Italeri T-34. I think that I'll pick one of those or a Macquette kit and give it go as well.

I checked the kit turret and the top has the twin ventilators at the rear top of the turret.

Thanks
Deacon :-) :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP