_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Any solution to the lack of M240 machine guns?
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hello, folks,
I was wondering if y'all can help me out on this. I noticed that none of supposed to be "modern U.S." 1/35 LAV and Humvee kits come with newer M240 machine guns that replaced M60 machine guns. Especially, the lack of M240's on LAV's bothers me since the U.S. military stopped mounting M60's on them more than a decade ago. it's almost impossible to build an accurate diorama of KFOR or current Afghan war scenes with them. I could not find any after-market or resin products of M240's nor did I find any kits with that machine gun. Do you have any solution to this? If anyone scratch-built one or converted something, how did you do it? Thanks in advance for your help.

James

CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hello James,
The only weapon that I'm aware of that may physically resemble the M240 is the FN-MAG, which can be found in the Academy "Isreali Paratrooper" set, but I could be wrong.
It does seem rather odd that the manufacturors have completely overlooked this not very recent weapon's addition to vehicles that they market as MODERN
Anyway, check-out the FN-MAG in that figure set and post back here, please because I've got a feeling that whichever aftermarket company that might produce one will probably Clean-Up $
Chuck
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 04:41 PM UTC
James,

CARFACE is right. The FN MAG is the ticket, the M240 is the same as a FN MAG 58. Here is FN's site http://www.fnmfg.com/products/m240/m240main.htm and a spec. page from a Special Ops site http://www.specwarnet.com/kit/m240.htm

Dave
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
I haven't seen any accurate m4s, m16A2s (with the round forestock), or M249 SAWs either. Maybe Tamiya or Dragon is listening and will produce a really modern weapons set. They could update some of the other infantry equipment, too, like the gas masks or the night-vision mounts for helmets. And as long as we are dreaming, how about the new body armor, and the Tactical Load Bearing (TLB) vest that the Army is going to? Throw in a couple of updated ALICE rucksacks, or even the brand-new rucksacks, and some updated sleeping bags and a Camelbak or two! Now we are talking useful...

Are you guys (manufacturers) listening?
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
Thanks, Chuck and Dave for your generous info. I got an Israeli paratrooper set by Dragon at a local hobby shop today (Academy one would be cheaper but o, well...) and will convert FN MAG into M240 mounted on LAV.
O, one more favor while i'm at it. Does anyone have or know of clear photo of how M240 is mounted on a regular LAV, preferably on the net? God bless and good day!

James :-)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 07:34 AM UTC
This doesn't answer the M240 question, although there is one included in every M1/M1A1/M1A2 kit out there, but the M16A2 and M249 SAW are both included in the Tamiya Modern US Accessory Set (#35141). This set has been out for quite a while, the box says 1988 and mine has a German price tag on it so I've had it since at least 1990. Also included is an M60E3 machine gun, but I think the Marines may have used/tested this weapon and not the Army. It looks like it could be modified into a ground mounted M240.
 _GOTOTOP