_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Please advise on thinning and colour charts
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 06:47 PM UTC
hey all....
I'm pretty much new to the modeling scene.....besides making countless planes as a kid. I'm now at the stage of learning to airbrush and although its only a single action brush will do for me until i get the money together for a dual action. I'm using tamiya and humbrol enamels. Can i thin these products with something like mineral terps??? Also at what percentage should i be aiming to thin down to with these products??? I saw somewhere that a milky consistancy is the aim but can't remember if it was for enamels. I'm also wondering if anyone measures out there colours accurately and what they use to do this? I was thinking of trying to find a load of pippuette (i can't spell) bottles. And finally.....are there any colour charts around thatll help the beginner to mix paints....ie say you wanted a different wood colour to what is the standard for paint companies......you could see on the chart the colour you want and translate how many parts of certain colours you mix to achieve it.

I know im a bundle of questions but i'm really excited to be back into kit building.....ive been visiting this site for a few weeks and have found it to be a real source of inspiration.....cheers all
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 07:05 PM UTC
For Humbrol enamels, thinner will do just fine (our European friends can direct you to the best brand/type). For Tamiya, their paints are acrylics. The cheapest stuff to use is windshield washer fluid, yes, the blue stuff that goes into the car.

To measure out paint, you can use drinking straws. Cut them into about 1/3 and cover one end with your finger as you pull it out of the paint bottle. Much cheaper than pipettes.
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 07:25 PM UTC
wow that was fast thanks for your speedy reply.

oh ok....so the tamiya paints that come in little jars are the acrylics??? It was kinda tricky because the only english written on the bottles are the brand, colour code and name .....and.....this was what got me enamel paint written near the bottom of the label. Everything else is written in japanese or chinese script. This is what we get in Australia where i live incase its different elsewhere. With acrylics ....i think i saw somewhere that i should mix 2 parts wiper solution to 1 part paint??? Can someone please clarify for me.....if i do use acrylics how many parts thinner (windshield cleaner) to how many parts paint should i mix to?

if someone could recommend me on a thinning mix ratio for the humbrol brand i'll be away and racing. This is only my first attempt at spaying so am not expecting too much.

thanks
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 09:33 PM UTC
Powerlogik, I've never used washer fluid to thin Tamiya's paints, but I'm sure it's just as good as the other methods. What I use is in the local pharmacy and even in supermarkets...91% isopropyl alcohol. Works very well too and is cheap.
Anyways, I thin it about 3:1 paint/thinner. and set your compressor air pressure for 15 to 20 psi. You want the thinned paint to be like "skim" milk.
One thing that you'll have to do is a little experimenting, only because the airpressure you use will make another difference in paint/thinnner ratios. Less airpressure will require that you thin it more - like 2:1 paint/thinnner @ 10 to 15 psi.
A word of caution, if you are spraying gloss colors - I would recommend that you use Tamiya's thinner. Reason being is that the alcohol (and washer fluid) will "flatten" the gloss finish.
As far as the enamal paints, just try to achieve that "skim" milk consistancy and airpressure settings accordingly. I don't use enamals any more, so I'm not to sure. Someone here is more proficient than I with them I'm sure.

As far as mixing up batches of thinned paint, I would steer clear of that unless you're going to use them reasonably soon. I've heard, that it is not a good idea to pre-mix paints for any length of time. I think it has to do with uhh...err...I don't really know. I heard about it and never did it.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Powerlogick.
You will find as you go along that every modeler has his/her personal
preference.
A couple of tips I can give you:
1) Try to use the hobby paints own brand of thinner. You will find this is strongly
recommened by the manufacture. Reason being, that you find no unexpected
surprise's that can effect the paint later on. It also makes for no worries &
unforseen problems.
2) I thin my paint to the same consistency of something like 2% milk.

3) I use glass or plastic eye-droppers, to add my paint and thinner
to my palette. They can be found in an CVS or Rite-Aide Pharmacy. ( very inexpensive ) .
Even though I have the droppers, I mix mostly by "eye" and from experience.

4) I use both enamels & acrylics. However, I thin my acrylics with Windex for windows.
The reason is, there isn't the surface tension as you find with using water.
All other paints I go by manufacture recommendation.

--- You will find any modeler here at Armorama eager and willing to
help you with what you need to know.
I would like to stress to you to "don't be afraid to experiment.
Through your own "trial and error " & accomplishments, you will find many answers
for yourself .
You'll find techniques that suit you & some that don't.
With combinations of others tip's & techniques, you will find a blend in between
that will become your personal preference.
WELCOME BACK & HAPPY MODELING !
- ralph
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To measure out paint, you can use drinking straws. Cut them into about 1/3 and cover one end with your finger as you pull it out of the paint bottle. Much cheaper than pipettes.

Now that is a GREAT idea, Rob!!! I will definitely try that!!! I still have a fair supply of pipettes, which I brought home from the lab I worked in, but I use them a lot. Good tip! Thanks!
:-)
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 06:40 AM UTC
thanks all for your advise and help......I'm going to go and play now

(well, after work anyway)

:)
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 06:59 AM UTC
Welcome to the site, Powerlogik. To thin paints for your airbrush, thin it to the consistancy of milk. Not much advice, but I hope it helps.
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To measure out paint, you can use drinking straws.

You can also use drinking straws for drinking your paint
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 04:29 PM UTC
Yeah but if you decide to drink your paint, I suggest you flavour it first with either chocolate or strawbery, flavoured Nestles instant drink mix. (Did I actually write that??!)

He now puts on his serious War modeller helmet:

For acrylic paint,

Try adding a drop of wasing up liquid aka dish detergent. This will kill the hdrostatic elemnent inherent to water known as surfact tension, thus crushing all those nasty electrons. However I defer to my more learned colleagues, such as blue falcon on such matters.

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride and hang on to your hat.

Jack
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 07:16 PM UTC
and im away!!!!

cheers all....just completed my very first airbrush coat.....the red rust protectant colour used by the germans on the metal. Going to try myself a little weathering .....basically playing around. Happy so far and learning heaps. For all those just starting out like me.....if you think using compressed air is too expensive when airbrushing.....and you cant afford a compressor yet....use your spare tyre from your car. Or your neighbours car if he isn't watching this is probably an old thing to everyone but it works fine. get set up properly and away you go....you'll see theres plenty of pressure for a while....enough for now.

and onwards...
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 07:20 PM UTC
oh by the way....besides all the sites on armorama.com (which are excellent!!!) i've also found this site very useful..... just in case there are any newbies out there trying modeling for the first time and like me wanted a few tips on painting....

http://www.militarymodelling.com/features/feature12/index.html

this is a tutorial on painting and weathering

enjoy
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to the site, Powerlogik. To thin paints for your airbrush, thin it to the consistancy of milk. Not much advice, but I hope it helps.

Penny - any advice is good advise.
No matter how little you think it might be,
it ususally helps out in a big way !
REGARDS,
- ralph
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For all those just starting out like me.....if you think using compressed air is too expensive when airbrushing.....and you cant afford a compressor yet....use your spare tyre from your car. Or your neighbours car if he isn't watching this is probably an old thing to everyone but it works fine. get set up properly and away you go....you'll see theres plenty of pressure for a while....enough for now.

and onwards...

Hey thanks for the tip Powerlogok!!!

Man, the next time a storm blows out the electricity, I'll be headed to the neighbour's driveway! They have plenty of unused tires at 2AM. lol Writing that one down so I don't forget!!!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 12:48 AM UTC
Badger makes a tire adapter for their airbrush. Problem I see is the moisture and trying to get a good steady air flow.
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 07:18 AM UTC
yeah the constant air flow and pressure control is a proble.....but for all those who want to try airbrushing for the first time its a workable solution. Its definately not the best but its ok for now.

i get to start my second coat tonight....yipee

thanks all again for advise and tips
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 10:55 PM UTC
Thinning paints is 50% standard and 50% what you the modeller is comfortable with. I like to use the paint manufacturer's brand thinner if available. When I use Tamiya acrylic paint, I will thin thw paint with Tamiya Thinner at a 1:1 ratio at 20 p.s.i. to 25 p.s.i. If I am spraying at a lower pressure, I will thin the paint at a higher ratio. You can also thin acrylic's such as Tamiya with 70% to 90% alcohol. I will thin enamel paint's such as Humbrol with paint thinner at a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio, depending on the air pressure. Always remember that you should have a moisture trao on your air compressor because moisture can effect the consistency of the paint and or ruin it all together. Always experiment on what makes you comfortable and practice, practice, practice on a scrap piece of plastic or old model. Do not use paper or cardboard to check consistency.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
try this for your charts

http://www.hotel.wineasy.se/ipms/stuff_eng_colorcharts2.htm

or this onehttp://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/reference/humbrol.htm
 _GOTOTOP