_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Need T-80 UD engine deck pictures
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi all,
I got the SKIF UDK kit and the SP Designs update sets but I can't fit the SP engine deck properly as it seems oversized.
Obviously it corrects the wrong details of the SKIF kit but it looks too long by at least 3mm ! and so juts out of the rear of the hull.
BTW the side fuel cells appear to be too long as well.

I would be pleased if anyone out there could help with close-up pictures.
TIA
Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hello Olivier,

I am looking into this as well. I have kit 197 and I cannot for the life of me figure out how it is BIGGER than the original part. Same for the rear lower hull plate. I know Sergej used the kit pieces, but instead of the slight shrinking you usually get with resin casting, he has some slight growth!

I will look into it more as I am working on this conversion as well. Will also look for some pictures for you and I...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 02:47 AM UTC
Ok, I uploaded a picture:

Also, here is a link to the best shots I have seen of a T-80UD rear end. No dirty comments, sickos!

Let me know if there is still a problem or not...
Removed by original poster on 04/01/07 - 18:24:06 (GMT).
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 04:21 PM UTC
i apologize for this hijack. Maybe its a dumb question, but did all the t80 variants have the same shape of turret? By the way, thanks for that link
Removed by original poster on 04/01/07 - 18:24:27 (GMT).
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 06:20 PM UTC
Fixed the picture.

Also, the T-80 had three distinct turrets:

Original T-80 turret which was very similar to the T-64B turret.

T-80B turret, total redesign.

T-80U/UD turret, total redesign.

Still working on the mystery of the T-80 rear deck!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, here is a link to the best shots I have seen of a T-80UD rear end. No dirty comments, sickos!

Let me know if there is still a problem or not...

Thanks Jacques, I still think there is a problem even if from the pics you can assume the engine deck is slightly longer than the lower hull. We should find a picture from below to be sure.
I mailed Sergej to see if he has the right picture.

I fear I've already messed up my kit I'm trying now to hide my huge mistake.
As far as the left fuel cells are concerned, do you have the same too long last rear one as I.

Here is a link I found that helps a little http://t80leningrad.narod.ru/tank_t80_2.htm

Good luck with your kit
Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 02:27 AM UTC
Okay,

First, reference the third message in this thread, the one with the pic.

1. I am using kit 176, the m1991 version rear deck. This differs in arrangement from the picture I have shown, which I think is the m1985 version but I do not have a kit on hand to reference against.

2. Look over the link I posted. There are TWO different versions in those pictures: one, with the K-1/3 ERA, is a PROTOTYPE T-80UD. Notice the deck screen shape. This is also the one with the fuel tanks on. The second tank is a true production T-80UD with the K-5 ERA but it DOES NOT have the fuel tanks on.

However, going by the various hardware and mounts, I have come to a coupld of conclusions:

1. This picture shows the engine deck overhangs the lower hull (Picture 8 on the weblink page):
If you look, the rear exhaust is on the left side of the deck. There is a edge along the entire length of the engine deck, showing that there is SOME overhang all along it.

2. Looking at this photo: (Picture 21)you can see that the fuel cell support goes out past the hull pannier and goes all the way back to the scissors-like hinge mount. Looking at kit 176, the fuel cells match this.

3. HOWEVER...looking at this picture: (picture 15) on the production tank, the fuel tanks do seem to be incorrect on the left side of the tank. Notice the stiffener going off the hull and that it runs close to the end of the engine deck. However, in kit 176 and 197 they both have the same fuel cells that have a too long second tank...maybe the first is incorrect? Going by this picture: (picture 3 on this webpage http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/Modern/T80/index80UD.php) it appears that all three fuel tanks are off in size, however this is on a tank showing a different hull deck plate arrangement. (I will have to bring this up to Sergej.)

4. The last point of evidence comes form the PROTOTYPE: (picture 7) that shows some interesting spaces between parts, but this has not been confirmed on a production T-80UD. The raised bolted circular piece on the hull right behind the turret is further away from the engine screens than is possible on the SP Designs conversion. I DO NOT know if this is correct or not...it seems the engine deck screens on the Prototype are smaller than on production models, and they may be a lot closer to this protrusion on those versions.

Now I hope that helps.

As for cutting up the SKIF hull to add the engine deck, i am not fond of how it is set up right now either. I am trying to convince Sergej HARD to make a new upper hull replacement piece rather than a "cut-in" deck. however, he has so far not wanted to do it. Voice to him that it would be worthwhile...
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 10:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the input Jacques.
The one I have is the prototype or at last the one with the Kontakt1/3 ERA just like in the Skif UDK kit.
I guess I won't get a very accurate model in the end. I'll try to keep it resembling a -UD anyway.

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hey Olivier,

All the SP Designs kits will only make a production -UD. My guess is you have the kit for the -UDK m1988?

Anyhow, I messed around with my kit(s) last night and once they are assembled, they look correct with the new engine deck, but the replacement part of it will take some skill...I REALLY want Sergej to make a whole new upper hull piece as a correction. Maybe I should work on this...(Yeah right, like I have nothing else to occupy my time... )

Whatever you do, keep at it...you do good work, and it WILL look good when done. (I am trying to remove the engine deck screening and add in the Eduard PE set for the Dragon -UD...wish me luck!)
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Olivier,

All the SP Designs kits will only make a production -UD. My guess is you have the kit for the -UDK m1988?

Anyhow, I messed around with my kit(s) last night and once they are assembled, they look correct with the new engine deck, but the replacement part of it will take some skill...I REALLY want Sergej to make a whole new upper hull piece as a correction. Maybe I should work on this...(Yeah right, like I have nothing else to occupy my time... )

Whatever you do, keep at it...you do good work, and it WILL look good when done. (I am trying to remove the engine deck screening and add in the Eduard PE set for the Dragon -UD...wish me luck!)

Good luck, I'm not brave like you to do so !
As far as size is concerned, Sergej confirmed that he got trouble when casting this part. After the resin has set, the part grew by approx 104% ! That's why, I got my problem. The part is accurate except in size

And I wrote Sergej to convince him to mold full upper hull. Will see !!
Olivier
 _GOTOTOP