Hosted by Darren Baker
Cat Litter & Sand
ToonArmy
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:00 PM UTC
Hi, i just recently bought cat litter for my groundwork. When i open the package, the cat litter doesnt look like "rubble" at all. It doesnt look like this Rubble Article; not one bit. Instead, i have this greenish hard small cylinder kind of thing. Did i buy the wrong product ? (i bought the smallest pack, and it was 2kg !!!)

Another thing, do you think i can use real beach sand instead of buying Woodland Scenery's train sand ?

Thanks
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
Toon,
What you what to buy is the cheap stuff. The cat litter that has zero fillers, crystals, etc. The cat litter is gray but can be stained with either enamel or acrylic washes. Use it to build the basis for rubble, not the rubble itself. For that I use more detailed "rubble" from Verlinden or others.
Try the cheap stuff, it will work.
GSP
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:39 AM UTC
The cheaper the better. Anything more expensive is loaded with all kinds of add-ins to make it clump and smell nicely. You definitely don't want that.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:02 PM UTC
I agree whith the other fellas. The cheapest the best! Often on the cat litter they put also pics from which you can see the pattern...
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:16 PM UTC
I always use catlitter and ordinary sand in dio``s same with small pebbles.

Sand you can find anywhere and I always have different types of sand available at home.
We have two cats so the kitty litter is nt a problem too but always the cheap stuff works the best and looks the finest.
small pebbles.. Sure you can invest too much money for a small bag of pebbles at the minirailroadshop but for the same amount of money you can buy 15 kilo`s of small rocks and pebbles at the aquarium store (that`s enough for the rest of your life)
these are just a couple fo guesses for cheap groundwork stuff that always looks the best

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC
I use oil dry for sand and other ground work. It really is just kitty litter for your car, but I think the actual grains vary in size more than kitty litter.

Patrick
ToonArmy
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:13 AM UTC
umm..looks like i bought the wrong cat prduct then. Maybe i can still return it to the pet shop. Thanks !!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
When you are at the pet store returning the cat litter, ask if they have any fine sands. Thats where i bought mines. it costs next to nothing. I thnk they use it for hamsters or something. Peebles ......... why pay for them. take a brush outside your house, sweep up and filte out all the small stuff. You should have enough small peebles and dust to make a dio.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:21 PM UTC
get some medium sized jars and as you drive around you are bound to find piles of dirt and sand. Get some different colors. Then get a supefine sifter and over a spread out newspaper sift your jar of dirt breaking up some of the pieces. This super fine dirt is your base, you'll fine the larger remains make for great pebbles. I also agree that fish tank rocks are the way to go. I found kitty litter too coarse and large for 35th scale. If you've got a mortar and pedistal set, you can grind the dirt even fines. And best of all, it doesn't cost anything
 _GOTOTOP