_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
air recognition flags - again
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC
I know this topic was discussed previously but there are some other things I'd like to know... What was the material used for the air flags during the Gulf War? What was the color of it? Any pics would be greatly appreciated...
BTW, I've modeled air recognition flags with paper tissue, lead foil and even surgical gloves... (don't ask ) How about you guys? What was the technique you were most content with?

Mario M.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 06:40 AM UTC
WOW (not a computer abbreviation ) surgical gloves - I'd sure like to see that in action!

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... What was the material used for the air flags during the Gulf War? What was the color of it? Any pics would be greatly appreciated...

They are made of nylon material, similar to the material used in windbreakers or jogging suits. They are OD green on one side and when properly folded, only the OD green is showing. The material does have a bit of a sheen to it. The high viz side has two colors, a fluorescent orange and pink. The stuff is very bright and has some reflective qualities to it. When spread out on the back of the tank with the sunshining, you'd swear they were electrically powered neon lights. I'll see if we have one at work somewhere.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
Check out the magazine racks. Some of the guns and ammo mags have large print I'd swear would pass as fluorescent orange.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 10:57 AM UTC
Yes Gunnie, Surgical Gloves. I've heard of using the latex too. I believe "Alexander Great Models", ( I'm not sure if that is right, I'll check) has or had a sheet of flourescent orange with a sticky backing. It came out right after Desert Storm with other products such as water bottle boxes from 3 different bottlers.
Bruce_J
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 12:02 PM UTC
Besides models, I also re-build full scale jeeps and trucks. I've bought some of the air recognition panels just to play around with on the jeeps (M151A2).

Mine are rectangular - hunter orange on one side and bright pink on the other side. Mine didn't have any green on them. There are a few gromets so it can be tied down as well. They were also made out of the shiney windbreaker material.

in scale models I've found that aluminium foil gives the correct thickness, texture, and lays across the contours of a vehicle to replicate the recognition panel.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 08:43 PM UTC
Thanks guys...
Rob, if you say it is made out of nylon then perhaps latex would be the solution on models? I'll give it a go with aluminum or lead foil, too just to see what looks better... Archer transfers has some air recognition panels but they look rather pricey to me..

Mario M.

Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC
I bet some mylar ballon probably comes in the right color.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bet some mylar ballon probably comes in the right color.

Some... what? Pardon my ignorance..

Mario M.

Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 01:55 AM UTC
Those round, flat balloons that look like they are made of aluminum foil. Usually have some sort of cartoon character or get well/good luck/happy birthday-type message. They are filled with helium and float in the air.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those round, flat balloons that look like they are made of aluminum foil. Usually have some sort of cartoon character or get well/good luck/happy birthday-type message. They are filled with helium and float in the air.

Oops, thanks Rob. Sometimes my English can make me look goofy... :-)

Mario M.

_GOTOTOP