_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Refinishing old kits
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 07:50 AM UTC
While going through my garage this weekend, I ran across several tank kits that I built before I ever rode on them. The old Tamiya M3 CFV, M1 Abrams and M151A2 TOW were in a box that hadn't seen the light of day in about 18 years. It was fun seeing the old kits and how I built them straight OOB using only the instruction sheet and box art as a guide. I've added their reconstruction to my "to-do" list.
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It was fun seeing the old kits and how I built them straight OOB using only the instruction sheet and box art as a guide.

Just wondering. what is OOB and who else would you build tham
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 08:02 AM UTC
OOB is out-of-box, meaning without using any aftermarket accessories or scratchbuilding any additional details. These were built without the use of spray paint or air brush and many of the parts still have mold lines and the camo pattern was hand painted. The tracks were left unpainted. Most of the decals had popped up, no gloss coat, decal set, dull coat, etc. I bet I had fun building these babies.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 09:03 AM UTC
I have one Model from my last stint building Armor(12 years ago) a Tamiya Centurion,I compare it to the Armor I am doing now,big change in my style these days.It was fun doing the kits OOB back then. Think the old Centurion is going to go in for a rebuild soon
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 03:37 PM UTC
For any of you guy's who might be interested, I wrote a feature back in the Journal of Museum Ordnance (JMO) on refurbishing old kits, at the beginning of my modelling carrer. Don't worry I've only been attacking plastic for some 10 years now! Might be interesting, at least that is what I strived for. Let me know if you can't find it, I'll see what I can do.

Jack
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2002 - 05:46 PM UTC
It is cool to hold one of your previous built models next to your latest completed project to see if you have improved any. My problem is trying to keep all of the dust off of my babies until I get a decent display case. Right now they are just on a shelf gathering every speck of dust in the house.
 _GOTOTOP