_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Armor Windows
pjbonc
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 09:48 PM UTC
Anyone have good advice on placing the armor windows? (you know the real small ones) I am just getting back into modeling after about 14 years absence and i used to only do aircraft models but i have taken a liking to Armor and while most of my mode looks pretty solid I just cant do a good job on those little windows. A replacement for the windows would be even better because that little strip of clear plastic is not all that believable. Thank for any advice in advance.

mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone have good advice on placing the armor windows? (you know the real small ones) I am just getting back into modeling after about 14 years absence and i used to only do aircraft models but i have taken a liking to Armor and while most of my mode looks pretty solid I just cant do a good job on those little windows. A replacement for the windows would be even better because that little strip of clear plastic is not all that believable. Thank for any advice in advance.

I take it you mean periscope/ vision blocks by windows? if so something that apparently works quite well is the processed but unexposed bit of film from slides that you get at the start of a batch, its pretty solid black but has the right amount of reflectiveness to imitate glass.
HTH.
pjbonc
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 02:37 AM UTC
Thanks, Ill give it a whirl..
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
You can also try painting the clear vision block lenses gloss black on the inside. For modern armor subjects, however, you may want to search this site for different ways of replicating the laser-reflective coating on periscopes and vision ports. Gino (HeavyArty) has one trick that works for a lot of folks: paint the lens gloss black, then overcoat them with clear red. I've also seen folks use the metallic confetti you can get at craft stores to achieve a similar effect (use the red, purple, and pinkish-purple confetti flakes). You cut a piece from the flake to fit your vision block and use it instead of the clear plastic provided with the kit. Hope this helps.

_GOTOTOP