_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Help with FAMO
Crusader001
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hello Everybody,
just got my hands on a FAMO 18t tractor & trailer and I want to do it as an Afrika Korps one- Did they use them?
I think I have seen the tractor in Africa but am unsure of the trailer- can anyone help

Many Thanks

Lee
Jimmie
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hi Lee,

Sorry, I don't recall seeing any photos of a Famo and trailer in North Africa.

I will however go through my references when I get a moment.

HTH

Paul Middleton
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 02:53 AM UTC
The Famo was used in north africa.

"In the wake of Blitzkrieg advances made by the Wehrmacht at the outbreak of WWII, the recovery of damaged or broken tanks from the battlefield proved relatively simple. After securing an area, reinforcing divisions could easily send inoperative vehicles back to the homeland for repair via railway. However, in the seesaw battles with the British Army in North Africa and against the Russian Army on the Russian front, the quick replenishment of tank strength became an indispensable element of Wehrmacht battle strategy. The utilization of the 18 ton Heavy Half-Track "Famo" proved fundamental to this strategy.
The proposal for the development of the Wehrmacht half-tracks was first made in 1932. Originally, three half-tracks, designated by their towing capability (5 ton, 8 ton and 12 ton) were designed, until 1936, when a light 3 ton vehicle and a heavy 18 ton vehicle, the largest one in the Wehrmacht, were also added. The 18 ton half track was mainly developed for the towing of 21cm and 24cm artillery howitzer and of course for tank recovery. It could also be used for the transport of over 30 troops."
Crusader001
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
I knew I would get a good response. I have been in touch with various 'luminaries' and the answer does indeed seem to be that the FAMO 18t and Sd Ahh 116 trailer were used- in fact one even guided me to a picture of a Trailer with burnt out Panzer III on- interesting but out of my league.

I have also been told that the Artillery Sdkfz 9 was used to tow the 170mm 'Matterhorn'- oh for another FAMO!!

All the best, thanks again
Lee
 _GOTOTOP