_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ultimate Guntruck
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 02:46 AM UTC
I just picked up the Italeri Bigfoot kit for $12 and thought I would turn it into a Guntruck - but more of an exercize in "what if" combined with whats already out there.

I got the US Guntrucks in Iraq book and some other refs together along with ALL my modern guns etc....

I also got (rather regrettably now ) the TWS 0082 Wheel set and gas tank. The wheels are flattened and a disapointment.
IN addition, I ordred the excellent CMK interior set for the kit.

I would like to toss this one out there to see what kind of firepower and armor to put on the 5ton truck.

I was thinking of armoring the entire cab, doors, bed & windshield. Installing an armored box directly behind the cab (XM 137 minigun) and another smaller station at the rear center with twin 50s or Mk 19. enclosed gunner's seat.
Blast mats on the sides of the armored box or ERA???

Cow catcher or blade?

Or I could mount an M113 chassis onto the bed and go to town?

whatcha think??

I'll try to document the build - but I'm in the middle of opening a pizzeria/bar so......

Chris
mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 03:17 AM UTC
I'm not one of the resident experts, but I think that ERA tiles would crumple an armored box when they detonated. I like the sound of your weapon loadout, I would like the minigun and Mk19, but I don't know if that would be accurate. A plow would look cool, but I think a cowcatcher or a really heavy bumper would be more believable.

If you are doing what COULD be done instead of what HAS been done, why not three weapons stations? Ring mount over the cab, armored boxes in the front and rear of the bed?
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC
It would be a fictional subject - not really an ACCURATE model - just a plausable representation.

Thanks,
Chris
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 05:32 AM UTC
Howdy chefchris,

I also like your load-out configuration. And hey, if you don't think it'll pass muster on the 'reality' side of the equation then maybe you should consider it for T2K?

Tread.
FlaminPole
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
I would mount a heavily modified bofors 40mm cannon on it, personally. From what I've read and seen, Afghan insurgents (and I suppose Iraqis too) haven't ever really wanted to get to close to a fast moving convoy. If they are engaging the convoy from the edge of their effective range, a fast firing cannon could quickly zero on their positions and take them out. I think this would make a cool model, because it would need to have a sophisticated traverse system allowing it to track while on the move, like a tank ( you could really detail it out)

Alternatively, you could have a similar system mounting a heavy mortar on a traverse with some radars on the cab roof, allowing it to detect incoming shells and conduct counter battery fire.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
I built this one for the T2K 2000 Campaign.

troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hey Chris,

Didn you get yoiur kit fromGreat Models? They had them on sale recently for $12. I got one too.

IMHO, I like your weapons choices. Personally, if it were me, Id have the minigun mounted in the box directly behind the cab higher then the other weapons stations for 360 degree firepower. Id make the box big too to house all thw ammo that thing can eat. Rigging the ammo can to the minigun might be interesting to make the whole setup swivel 360. perhaps a motorized pedestal? Im liking the Mk19 on the back for umm tailgaters. For the front, I would prefer a blade. But add a 220V generator to the back and run electricity to it! That way you can fry the ones you dont get to run over LOL

I know, Ive got issues, but hey......you asked! LOL
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 09:15 AM UTC
Great stuff guys - I 'm looking through my modern spares and have come up with 2 106 RR s that may go into this project. I had also thought about mortars.... but it may go towards missles.....

What dreams may come ......
OPS_clown
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 08:16 PM UTC
Depending on when in the war you were modeling, the cab wouldn't have had full armor. I have a picture somewhere of a 5 Ton that my buddy was in when an IED hit it. (or, it hit the IED?) the bed was armored and that was it. Everyone walked away though.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC
I picked up some 1/32 scale missles from a member over on Aeroscale after an Mishap with some Laquer thinner and a stray cat in the house took out a F-15 I'm planning on using them on a HEMMT T2K project...... I got the 20mm gatling gun out of that kit as well!!!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP