_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hessian tape camouflage
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC
Have seen lots of pics of fireflys etc. with camoflage made from hessian tape. Anyone got any good suggestions of how to make some. I thought maybe strips of thin paper of cloth or even thin plasticard. Not sure though maybe tissue?

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 02:50 AM UTC
I can't find an article in the features section on kitmaker so here's one from Missing-lynx

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/britain/emhess/hessian.htm
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC
Try applying thin cut up strips of the standard white surgical tape(give a good surface texture like cloth) found in first aid kits to camouflage nets made from surgical gauze.

Apply wet qauze in small sections and then apply the tape and then overlap more qauze and then more strips on top...it gives a layered three dimensional look.

Apply a thin coat of white glue and let it all dry. Paint it with a base coat and then use variations in the shade for the hessian. Apply a dark wash, some dry brushing and some pigments or pastels.

Voila...camouflage nets with hessian.
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 09:59 PM UTC
Thanks very much I will give that a try.
RCAC
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
hi!
Hessian tape
I have a WIP Comet with turret and gun covered with netting and tape you can see it in my gallery. The way I did it, was to first apply the netting whatever brand you use I used some stuff from Verlinden for the tape I used tissue wich was first folded in two to make it thiker hardened with a mixture of water and white glue. I then cut strips, soaked them in glue and water again and apllied over the netting. It looks pretty nice if I may say so.

It's worth trying out and the result was better than what I expected. On my Comet I also added loose pieces of tape on the front of hull check it out if any questions you can send me a message
Regards
Brian
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 368 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
I just found out a method from a friend. Use cheesecloth as the primary netting, paint witha primary color, airbrush in a striped pattern. When dry wet this with 50/50 white glue solution, wipe off excess and drape over vehicle front adjusting as necessary. A used teabag let to dry provides the strips of cloth. When dry cut open discard the guts and cut the bag into appropriate strips. White glue onto cheesecloth. I believe you can paint them but the tea does a good job of dyeing. I havent tried it yet but I have the Firefly in waiting.
hofpig
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:42 AM UTC
Now the teabag idea I love. sounds great But I think i might try a few different approaches to see if a mix and match approach would add some variety.

cheers all though.
RCAC
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi Paul
Photos speak for themselves This technique is easy and works fine
Cheers
Brian

_GOTOTOP