_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Plated parts
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 09:47 PM UTC
Whatho Fellow Modellers,
Can anyone out there tell me how to remove that pesky plating from plastic parts ?.I want to militarise a truck but i need to remove this stuff in order to paint it.Is there a way to do this without damaging the plastic detail underneath ?.
Thanks All.Danny Greenway.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 09:55 PM UTC
Liquid Plumber or a similiar drain cleaner there in the UK will take the plating off. "Q"
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:03 PM UTC
Dear Mathew,
Many thanks for the quick post !,is there any chance you can go into a bit more detail as i`ve never done it before,so if you can, a step by step guide would be a help.
Cheers,Danny.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:06 PM UTC
You can also use bleach, oven clener, brake fluid, Simple Green, or amonia.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...a step by step guide would be a help.

Spray the parts with Easy Off and let soak a few minutes. Scrub with a toothbrush. Usually takes two tries to remove all of the plating. "Fume Free" Lemon Scented Easy Off doesn't seem to be as strong, so I wouldn't recommend it.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:07 AM UTC
Oh, you probably already know to do this, but don't forget to use chemical-resistant gloves and a cartridge breathing mask if you're working with some of the chemicals listed here. You definitely don't want to get this stuff on your skin or inhale the fumes for long.

esc71
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 222 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
I've had nothing but good results by soaking the plated parts tree in a shallow pan of bleach until the plating is gone (won't take too long) and then rinse with warm water and dish soap. You may need to flip the parts tree and soak that side also to thoroughly strip it.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:27 AM UTC
Dan, as to how I use the Liquid Plumber, simply add a little bit to a plastic container, like Rubbermaid etc, insert the parts, and in about 5-10 seconds, you will see the plating disappear. Remove the parts, rinse under some running water, and you're in business. The remaining LP can be rinsed down the drain since this is where is was designed to go in the first place. There usually isn't an odor with it as well. While brake fluid will work, the issue of what to do with it once you're done can be a problem. Oven cleaners are hard on the nose and eyes sometimes. Haven't used Simple Green for this so I can't comment on it, other than it is easier on the nose and eyes, almost pleasant in fact. Ammonia, again, hard on the nose and eyes. As suggested, I'd reccomend wearing some rubber gloves and glasses to protect your hands and eyes in case of any splashes. Hope that helps. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP