Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon 1/72 Sherman
400heavy
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:21 AM UTC
I noticed that the newly-tooled Dragon 1/72 Sherman looks 'off' to me, compared to my Esci's Shermans. The Dragon's Sherman is narrower, and, as a result, it doesn't look right (i.e. too long and skinny). The Esci Shermans looks like the real thing--their shape is captured perfectly.
I will have to use all the new Dragon parts to fix up my Esci's!
While on the subject of Shermans, has anyone else noticed that the 1/35 Italieri M4A1 Cast Hull Sherman is also wrong? The sides of the hull are 'sloped', instead of being perpendicular (90 degrees) to the ground. This is very difficult to fix.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:34 AM UTC
I can't comment on the 1:72 dragon sherman hulls, but the sides of a cast hull sherman are supposed to be sloped. If they had been perpendicular to the ground it would have cause trouble getting the casting out of the mould.
See for yourself: http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/Sherman%20Corner/M4A1%20Slope/M4A1hullslope.html
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I noticed that the newly-tooled Dragon 1/72 Sherman looks 'off' to me, compared to my Esci's Shermans. The Dragon's Sherman is narrower, and, as a result, it doesn't look right (i.e. too long and skinny). The Esci Shermans looks like the real thing--their shape is captured perfectly.

If you measure it, the M4A1 is close to 1 7/16ths of an inch, doing the math that comes out very close to an actual Sherman's width of 8'7"

John
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I

If you measure it, the M4A1 is close to 1 7/16ths of an inch, doing the math that comes out very close to an actual Sherman's width of 8'7"

John

These measurements are for the Dragon M4A1
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, having checked the DML M4s against (modern) accurate 1/72nd scale plans, I'm afraid i'm scratching my head here. So rather than scale them against the (very old) Esci kits, perhaps some accurate plans would have been more reliable?

Nowadays, I really think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who would question the accuracy of the DML 1/72nd scale Shermans...
 _GOTOTOP