Painting Tamiya rubber tracks
bcm235
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hello,

For armor subjects, I mainly buy Tamiya AFVs because of the rubber tracks. I built a DML M1A2 many years ago and remember the frustration of putting together the individual track links. I usually build out of the box for armor kits and found Tamiya kits to be very easy to put together.

So far, I've built 5 modern AFVs and have another five in various stages (from sub-assemblys built, but not painted to shrink wrap still on the box). I've noticed in pictures in the gallery that the tracks seem to be painted.

My question is, is it okay to paint the rubber tracks? The instructions don't mention painting the rubber tracks. If so, what Tamiya paint color(s) would suffice? I mainly build for pleasure and as long as I capture the "look" of the subject, I'll be content. None of my completed models would hold a candle to the models in the gallery.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:17 PM UTC
Yes, they are fine to paint. I do it all the time. Here is a tutorial on how to paint them realistically. Painting Tank Treads
bcm235
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:45 PM UTC
Thanks a lot!!! I'll give it a try.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:15 PM UTC
Oh, I see you're talking about the detailed vinyl tracks, not the band type that is actually made out of rubber. Those cannot hold paint.

Jeff
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

For armor subjects, I mainly buy Tamiya AFVs because of the rubber tracks. I built a DML M1A2 many years ago and remember the frustration of putting together the individual track links. I usually build out of the box for armor kits and found Tamiya kits to be very easy to put together.

So far, I've built 5 modern AFVs and have another five in various stages (from sub-assemblys built, but not painted to shrink wrap still on the box). I've noticed in pictures in the gallery that the tracks seem to be painted.

My question is, is it okay to paint the rubber tracks? The instructions don't mention painting the rubber tracks. If so, what Tamiya paint color(s) would suffice? I mainly build for pleasure and as long as I capture the "look" of the subject, I'll be content. None of my completed models would hold a candle to the models in the gallery.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

The composition of Tamiya's track changed about ten years ago. The original vinyl tracks used since 1967 or so, had to be welded together using a heated knife, as they were not affected by solvent cements. These can be painted with acrylics (best choice, as they are flexible when dry), though enamels can be used if you fit the tracks as soon the paint is dry to the touch (enamel is slightly flexible until it hardens all the way through--after that, it will flake off if flexed). The good thing about them is that were basically indestructible short of setting them on fire. Academy still uses this formula.
Tamiya's new, glueable soft plastic tracks eliminate the need for the hot knife blade, but they are very vulnerable to solvents. Enamel or lacquer thinners will cause the plastic to dry out and crumble within days, so paint these only with acrylics and other water based paints (including washes and clear coats). This material is also more fragile than vinyl, and may snap if bent too tightly (I had a pair of Cromwell tracks snap in the box where they had been folded over during packing).
Tamiya's motorized kits were sometimes supplied with real black rubber tracks that had limited outside detail and rubber ribs on the inside face. They had no holes for sprockets and the sprocket wheels supplied had no teeth. These could not be painted at all, and dried out and cracked after a couple of years exposure to the air.
 _GOTOTOP