_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Russian Primer Color
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC
Does anyone know the color that the Soviets used beneath the top coat of their vehicles? I am going to use the Salt Weathering method and want it primed the right color. I am building a Katusha Rocket Launcher by the way.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 01:54 AM UTC
Some people will be able to give you a better answer : has a primer ever been used for soviet / russian tanks ?

Anyway, here is what I've always seen on pictures : when soviet green paint is chipping, you'll find another layer of green paint underneath... It becomes visible when the 2 greens are of different shades.

The only case when these paint chips were realy visible were on pictures of abandoned vehicles.
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hi, I've heard people say primer red was used, using some modern pics as evidence. I am not sure that is true. I am guessing no primer was used at least during WWII. The vehicles did not survive long enough for the finish to become an issue. In any case, try to go easy on scratches on the Russian WWII stuff. HTH, Dmitry
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 03:17 PM UTC
hi factory photographs show that red primer was most certainly used. It has to be to stop the rusting of the steel plate. It is also used in the method of marking out with chalk or white paint for centres or cutting lines . It is standard practice in heavy engineering. I base this on 37 years working in heavy engineering and the power industry . Yet an other myth exploded. cheers ian
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hi Ian, Do you have any examples of the photographs. I know they use primer red now for their modern stuff and for restorations, but I have never seen anything convincing from 1930-40's. Thank you, Dmitry
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:17 PM UTC
I can't remember the exact source or even if it's really universally true, but I recall reading that the Soviets during WW2 used yellow/zinc oxide primer and seeing color photos of vehicles with their original paint chipped or parts removed shows a lighter shade underneath, however I don't have the exact links handy to support that. It's a yellowish-greenish color that's lighter than the exterior "Russian Green" finish and would be inline with penpen has seen.
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 04:32 PM UTC
Guys,
Hopefully this will dispell the myth that "red-lead" primer was first used post-WW2. Check out the inside face of the suspension tower after the fuel cell has been removed. Vestiges of a red primer are visible. This feature is also found on the opposite side of the same vehicle. This photo of "Sniper" was taken by Mosin Alexandr soon after it's retrievel from a swamp in 2003 after more than 60 years.

Mike
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007 - 08:59 AM UTC
Great picture. Is there a link to a site showing more of the tank being stripped down and rebuilt?
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 08:53 PM UTC
I have just about finished this model and I used a yellowish green primer and the Salt Weathering technique and it came out pretty darn good. After I used some dark washes to break up the color a bit. I need to put the windows and attach the rockets and that should do it. I will be posting pictures very soon.
 _GOTOTOP