Hosted by Darren Baker
German Street Defences 1945
ElliottC91
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC
I'm looking to make a small dio of a roadblock/defence position around the closing stages of the war. I am going to use the 'Fallen Comrade (Aachen)' and want to make a defence position in front of the plus model german house i have, possible an MG nest. I've had no luck finding any pics of these sorts of positions. I don't know whether they would be sandbagged or just made of rubble, due to the defenders desperation. Any information would be much appreciated.
Elliott
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm looking to make a small dio of a roadblock/defence position around the closing stages of the war. I am going to use the 'Fallen Comrade (Aachen)' and want to make a defence position in front of the plus model german house i have, possible an MG nest. I've had no luck finding any pics of these sorts of positions. I don't know whether they would be sandbagged or just made of rubble, due to the defenders desperation. Any information would be much appreciated.
Elliott

Hi Elliott, I believe pics of this sort of thing are thin on the ground but it is my thought that almost anything that could be used was used, be it sandbags, rubble, wooden doors, basically anything they could get their hands on!

HTH
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 02:47 PM UTC
Destroyed vehicles make good roadblocks!
I agree with Mark, anything they can get their hands on really, however, some were a bit more professional and so some of the bits found in Tamiya's and Italeri's 'Barricades' sets would work nicely for you too.

James
modelshipworld
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 01:11 AM UTC
There's a famous pic of the aftermath of battle, around the Brandenburg gate and it shows a toppled SS Kubelwagen which in its position was probably a barricade to either German or Russian soldiers, possibly civilians caught in crossfire. I think a Kubelwagen would be a real thought provoking symbol

You could also get some good ideas from the German film 'The Downfall' (Der Untergang)
 _GOTOTOP