gedeo crystal resin
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 09:59 AM UTC
hello,

i've recently discovered a probduct called Crystal Resin from the company Gedeo, here's a link to a store where you can get it:

http://www.londonart-shop.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?pID=3833

it's a bit pricey but i've found it to be quite an interesting material for casting or making water effects.

First of all I have diorama project which requires me to cast some water in clear resin, I tried normal polyester resin from the craft shop, the kind that stinks and shrinks. After several attempts I got fed up because of the excessive shrinkage (pulls away from the mold while curing)! And it remains tacky for a really long time when used with silicon molds.

So then I came across the Gedeo Crystal resin and decided to try it out.

I used to it to cast some 1/72 scale wheels and accessories as a test.
My initial impressions were that it felt very similar to envirotex in consistency but did not have any smell! A very big plus. Takes rather long before you can demold - around 12 hours and stays flexible for another 12 hours or so depending on your hardener ratio. It does not stay tacky after 12 hours. Looks crystal clear throughout the whole process. There is some minimal shrinking but stays stuck to the mold while curing.

It was easy to carve and sand when hard.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this resin for larger projects? I need to cast something which is around 8 by 11 inches by 1.5 inches thick, and wanted to get more feedback from users before I order more of this resin.
I found this thread online and it looks very promising:

http://www.voidgamers.com/channel/HirstArts/HADD7/b.358.r.385.html

Beaver22
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 01:20 AM UTC

I like the look of that. From what I have seen of other products, this is the same price. The charge £13.99 for the stinky shrinky stuff too.

I am planning to incorporate water into my next base. Are there any threads showing how too.

Thanks

Stuart

By the way, This was my 100th forum post birthday today.
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC
Havent seen any threads of this being used as water, though from my trials, its works just like envirotex...very clear, very viscous...so if you're pouring onto your base, you'll need to seal it properly.

And it also takes a long time to cure 12 hours. While for the stinky stuff, it gels in about 10 to 15 minutes during which time you can shape it and it will hold its shape till it sets.
But for this, i dont know when it gels or if it will hold the shape if you sculpt it.
 _GOTOTOP