_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Wash solvent problem
Edlud
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 07:07 PM UTC
I've been washing with artist oils diluted in 100% Mineral Sprits over Tamiya acrylics. I've noticed that after treatment small plastic parts are easly breaking. What solvents do you use and do you have this problem too?

Thanks
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 09:26 PM UTC
In my builds, I use Future floor wax well before I get to the wash phase. Seems to keep the solvents in mineral spirits away from the plastic/glue. My stuff usually only breaks when I drop or bang into it. Such grace that I have! Anyway, hope the above helps. FYI I usually end up with about four coats of Future.
capnjock
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 09:58 PM UTC
Well for the oil paint i always use Heptane or Hexane from my work
but you dont need to work in a chem lab to have such solvent, you can use fuel for Zippo or fuel for camping stove like Coleman fuel.
this give you the best result from my point of view
seb
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:06 AM UTC
I also use mineral spirits for my wash mix over acrylics and have never had that problem. Do you apply some type of gloss coat before you do the wash? Some use Future like capnjock. I use Testor's gloss kote. Either one will protect the plastic from any negative effects of the mineral spirits. Plus the gloss coat helps the wash to flow better over the model.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:23 AM UTC
The problem lies in the nature of the solvent and plastic interacting and causing a brittle condition or even worse - out and out melting. So protecting the model with a clear coat is necessary

For years I have shied away from solvents and oil paints and used acrylics paints thinned with alcohol. I have found that the model needs no special preparation prior to weathering and I have never had anything melt or get brittle. Finally, the process is fast and dries in about 30 minutes.

Just an alternative to oils and solvents
 _GOTOTOP