Dioramas: Aircraft
Aircraft dioramas and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need Help.. beginner
Phiterfilot
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hello everyone, I joined this forum to get as much info as possible, I started this hobby when i was Six and Now im 15. still quite young and still doing mistakes.
Well I really would appreciate if someone could give me Tips on making diorama's for model planes...I also would like to know is Airbrush a vital tool for Diorama making. I've made over 30 different kinds of models,half of them with no quality until i realised that modelling was not just "get it fixed" kind of hobby. Many mistakes have enlightened me now, I would like to know what glue people usually use on diorama's too. Always end up using the wrong glue.......Darn...And tHanks everyone!!!

BTW im from SINGAPORE!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007 - 08:13 PM UTC
Welcome to the world of dioramas, glad to see you here.
First off, your specific question of airbrush necessity for dioramas. For diorama building an airbrush is very helpful but I personally would not consider it a 'must have' for dioramas. I would, however, say that for aircraft it is the first tool I would invest in. For a good clean metalic finish or a nice soft edge camo on a WWII Pacific plane or a British airplane an airbrush is key. So start saving your money and get one as soon as possible.

As for tips, tricks, techniques - start here

Dig. Dior. These quick features are very helpful.

A longer read is one of my own. It's not aircraft, but it does have a ton of tips and pointers you can use for planning, bases, water, research etc.
Gotcha Covered

Then just start looking through these
Features

Glues - Well I use CA (super glue), PVA (White), Epoxy (two part), Wood Glue - it just depends on what you are gluing together.

Here is a great thread in ModelGeekU Glue Thread
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2007 - 08:26 PM UTC
All kinds of tutorials and tips here on site.Hair spray to snow to waterfalls to smoke and flame.Welcome!
Have fun and scope this site out as much as you can.
cheers!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi welcome to the site, have a look on aeroscale on this site lots of aircraft dios there, also try aircraft resource centre dios and tips on there, re the airbrush for aircraft yes its a must have,for dios handy but not essential.if your modelling a concrete airstrip the airbrush gives a nice in scale finish, hey get on dads back and get one you wont regret it also dont bother with the cans of air they will put you off airbrushing, get a compressor.all the best.
Phiterfilot
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys.... !
Ok..there seem to be 2 different kind of airbrush that i can find near my place...One is a new design from japan and the other the old version. The new kind sucks paint through gravitational force....that means the container for the paint before it is sprayed is located at the top part of the airbrush....Any tips???
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 01:36 PM UTC
The brush with the graitational feed is pretty standard now days lot of guys on site reccomend that type,best one to get is a Iwata they seem to be the favourite brush for most modellers,try putting a post in the paint forum or cammets corner you may get more response on this subject.hope this helps
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
If you can get a gravity feed brush. Nice/easier to use. Lower air pressure and less thinning mean it's easier to get things right quicker.
However, to me the even more important feature of an airbrush is single or double action.
Single is a one motion trigger that turns on the airflow 100% and you control just the paint flow. Trigger motion is either down OR back
Double is a two motion trigger controlling BOTH airflow and paint flow. Again, more control. The trigger motion is down AND back.

Personally, I'd buy a suction double action before a gravity single. Ultimately I'd try and get a double gravity.
raysrdr
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC
Welcome to the forum,
You got an early start, 6yo. I believe I started aroung 15yo or so.
I have been building models(planes/helos) for about 25 yrs...and still do not owne an airbrush. I really have no need for one. As for glues, there are several depending on the material you are gluing. I use Elmer's(white glue), Super glue, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Hot Glue(need glue gun), Testor's glue, Plaster of Paris.
Tips for Tarmac construction. The only tip I can provide here is probably the most important, it's called RESEARCH!
Go to an airport and plan to spend about 30 minutes there. Take some paper for notes. Many people have built tarmacs by relying on pics of the internet, right? But go a step further, by being up close to the tarmac you can see fine details(discoloration of tarmac, oil/hydrualic stains, wet vs. dry tarmac, weeds growing between the sections and so forth).
Ray
NickZour
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC
Atlacol,Epoxy and polysterine glue!
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Atlacol,Epoxy and polysterine glue!

Nick, you're bumping anclent threads again - CHECK THE DATES, once again this cat hasn't visited here in a year (you can see this by hitting his "Profile" button).

- Steve
NickZour
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 09:57 PM UTC
Oh,again the same mistake!
 _GOTOTOP