_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-80 UDK WIP (painting start)
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hi all,
here are the very first results !

The matt look will be come later. Some details still need to be done.
Comments welcome.

Olivier
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC
Nice work Olivier ! I like the added detail on the MG mount.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Olivier ! I like the added detail on the MG mount.

Thanks Chris, but unfortunately this is pure artistic license as the command version should not have the MG fitted as someone reminded me of in another forum
Anyway, I think I'll let it there as I'm quite happy with the job done here

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC
Nice work Olivier. Looks like a solid start...that green looks a little too "green" though...is it really that green, or just a picture issue?

The build looks solid AND correct. Matching it to photos I have on hand, it does not look too long in the end nor out of proportion to the rest of it. It certainly looks better than the MESS I am working with...HA! (Of course I brought it on myself...)

As for the AAMG, I am not so sure that these T-80's were without them Command variant or not. It has been convincingly argued that this is actually what has been labled a T-80A, a intermediate between the -B and the -U. First, all true -U's have the post mounted AAMG's. Second, all true -U's have the Auxilary Power Unit on the rear, left. The Kharkov style Remote AAMG and K-1/3 ERA is a dead giveaway that this fits those criteria, and Sergej's reference picture onthe box top is one that is used to ID the small-production-run variant. Or so it is all rumored...

The AAMG details look very nice.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Olivier. Looks like a solid start...that green looks a little too "green" though...is it really that green, or just a picture issue?

I fear it is too green. I will try to lighten it with a yellow filter

Quoted Text

As for the AAMG, I am not so sure that these T-80's were without them Command variant or not. It has been convincingly argued that this is actually what has been labled a T-80A, a intermediate between the -B and the -U. First, all true -U's have the post mounted AAMG's. Second, all true -U's have the Auxilary Power Unit on the rear, left. The Kharkov style Remote AAMG and K-1/3 ERA is a dead giveaway that this fits those criteria, and Sergej's reference picture onthe box top is one that is used to ID the small-production-run variant. Or so it is all rumored...

The AAMG details look very nice.

OK for the MG mount Concerning an APU, Sergej issues one large on the rear right. I set it in place but can't confirm he's right. The only ones of that kind I saw on T-something were on Ukrainian T-84s. So I begin wondering whetehr Sergej is correct or not. Anyway, I can't remove it now except with doing some major damages to the plastic part underneath.

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:08 AM UTC
Yes, Sergej's APU is correct for a Russian T-80U. It will be a few days, but I should be able to confirm it. No worries there.

As your kit is shown in the pictures, I am totally out to lunch...I am doing my responses too late at night. You have a T-80UDK, early. As with all T-80UD's, they have the Kharkov Remote AAMG. What little I have on sources for this VERY rare version state that even the command variant had them as there were only about 5 of the command version made with the E-1/3 ERA before they went to fully integrated K-5 ERA and in all the hustle/bustle they had not yet decided on the AAMG being relevant or not.

ALL T-80UD's have the APU. I have a question running on when the Russians got rid of all their T-80UD's, or if they still have them in service. Will get back to you when I know.

Sorry for all the confusion...I gotta rest!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:04 PM UTC
Here is the next series of pics. I tried to lighten the dark green and began the weathering. I still have to do the glass surfaces, the formation lights and add the MG at the very end.

All comments welcome.
TIA
Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 04:55 AM UTC
Keep at it Olivier, I want to see this thing weathered. And the detail of the AAMG is superb. Thanks for that close up photo.
 _GOTOTOP