_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Type of paint for air brush?
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 01:49 AM UTC
I'm not sure what type of paint to use with my new Badger 350-6 bottomfeed single action airbrush, I think that oils might be the way to go but i also want to paint buildings and the such with acrylics is there any problem with using both?
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 01:58 AM UTC
Alphasniper,

There should be no problem spraying either enamels or acrylics with the 350. I have one myself and did so yesterday. Of course you need to thin the paint properly (to about the consistancy of milk). I use ModelMaster and Humbrol enamels and Tamiya and ModelMaster acrylics. All spray great with the Badger 350. Be sure to clean it well though, especially when switching from enamel to acrylic and back. Good luck! :-)
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
Thank you, so all it have to do is thin it, what type of thinner do you use and I planned on using Delta Color acrylics would those be ok as long as i thin them?
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
Alpha,
Any paint that can be thinned, can be sprayed. Use the paint manufacturers recommended thinner. For most acrylic paint I find the best thinner is either Windex or automotive windshield washer fluid. I tend to use Windex. For enamels, stick with whatever the mfg. says.
BTW, Windex is great for cleaning the AB after painting with either acrylics or enamels.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 03:14 AM UTC
Alpha,

for Tamiya I use their own thinner to thin the paint and use the windshield wiper fluid for cleaning the airbrush. For enamels I use the recommended thinner for thinning and mineral spirits for cleaning. I have never heard of or seen Delta Color acrylics, but if you follow the manufacturer's instructions, as Ron already mentioned, you should be ok. HTH
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC
David and Ron The main problem is that Delta Color is a croft paint and doesn't have directions for thinning it's the big bottles in the craft store that your kid can paint his paper mache volcanoe with and there not soldd as air brush acrylics. Any ideas on this stuff cause it's thick almost like a McDonalds milkshake thick any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Corey
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The main problem is that Delta Color is a croft paint and doesn't have directions for thinning it's the big bottles in the craft store that your kid can paint his paper mache volcanoe with and there not soldd as air brush acrylics. Any ideas on this stuff cause it's thick almost like a McDonalds milkshake thick any thoughts would be appreciated

Corey,
Experiment. Try Windex, automotive windshield washer fluid or distilled water with a very little drop of dish liquid to break the water's surface tension. Thin to the consistancy (sp?) of skim milk.
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 12:58 AM UTC
Ok thanks for the extra help. If it's too thick how can I tell and to clean it i just spray through it with mineral spirits Right?
thanks for the help
Corey
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
I have been airbrushing for over twenty years and there is one absolutely foolproof way of telling if paint is of the right consistency for airbrusing. Get some silscreen silk of 10x or 12x mesh and strain the thinned down paint through it. This will ensure that it is of the proper consistency and will remove any lumps or foreign matter from the paint. After straining, dump this silk in water or appropriate thinner to clean it up. I have small swatches of silk that I have re-used for years since the stuff is pretty much indestructible if it is properly cleaned immediately after use.
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 07:26 AM UTC
Thank you Bob
I just wasn't fure how to ensure it thats for clearing it up
Corey
 _GOTOTOP