_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Cyber-Hobby T-34 STZ Factory
MartinJK
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
Today on Perth Military Modelling site, the new Cyber - Hobby STZ (Stalingrad Factory) T-34 was unveiled. With images of the details, I am a little disappointed to find that the new Cyber Hobby STZ is from the early production series 1941 and not the Spring 1942 series with the STZ trademark turret.
Lets just hope they at least got the STZ 1941 details right.

~Martin
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 06:22 PM UTC
Cool, thanks for posting this Martin. I cant wait to order one (just one ? hmm). I agree on the point you made about the turret style. I think it would have been wiser to depict the raw and unpainted T-34s used in Stalingrad. Afterall, thats what made the STZ production so famous

Still looks like it will be a great Cyber-Hobby kit.

Cheers !!

Robert
MartinJK
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 05:54 AM UTC
After doing a little research with the T-34 bible (T-34 Mythical Weapon) and other written material, it appears to me that Cyber Hobby has simplified the construction on this kit.
The STZ factory constructed the hulls with interlocking front, back and top (sides of turret ring) armor plates. Some will claim that this trait was not until 1942 series production batches, however, that claim is not true at all. The 1942 hulls has simplified hull top interlocking plates, but still retained the original front and back interlock. It appears to me that Cyber Hobby has used the standard 1940 / 1941 T-34 hull from their previous releases without any modification. It is a BIG let down!!! The interlocking plates (along with other small hull details), turret and the steel wheels are what make the T-34 STZ so different than the rest of the production series T-34's. The lower hull is also not-reworked with the correct details, (the standard DML T-34 lowe hull tubs are slightly inaccurate). The forward idler wheel should have one bump stop instead of 2 ( as on the DML T-34 hulls, and strangley, the Trumpeter 1/16scale T-34's as well), the side suspension ports are also a little oversise as they should be shorter than the side bump stops ( as again, DML T-34's and Trumpeter 1/16 T-34's have the exact same problem)
Please understand, I am no authority of the T-34, just a fellow modeller who was really expecting a great T-34 STZ.

~Martin
 _GOTOTOP